1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Functions formula

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The desert temperature, H, oscillates daily between 40 degrees F at 5 am, and 80 degrees F at 5 pm. Write a possible formula for H in terms of t, measured in hours from 5 am.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The best I can come up with is

H=60+40sin((pi/6)t)

but this does not look right when I try and graph it on a calculator. I think the 40sin part is what I have wrong, but I cannot figure out what goes there, and the book is no help at all. Am I at least close?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2
    The amplitude of the oscillation is 40, but multiplying the base function by 40 will make it oscillate between -40 and 40, giving it an amplitude of 80. Ie., your function oscillates between 60 - 40 = 20 and 60 + 40 = 100.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    OK, I looked a little closer and I think they want it to start at 40. So I got H=60+(-20)cos((pi/12)t)

I think I had the period wrong too... This looks right...right?

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4
    Looks great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook