Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic functions

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    Can a function have two periods? If so, which is the fundamental period?

Consider the following function, $$ f : \mathbb{N} → \mathbb{R} $$, defined by
    f[n] = 1 if n is a multiple of 2 or 3, and 0 otherwise.
    Then it is clear that 2 and 3 are both periods of this function, since translation of the input by either 2 or 3 renders the function's value invariant.

6, being the least common multiple of 2 and 3, is also "a period" of this function. But which is the fundamental period?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this confusion!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Yes, and the smallest positive number is the fundamental.

Well

f(1) = 0
    f(2) = 1
    f(3) = 1
    f(4) = 1
    f(5) = 0
    f(6) = 1

But ##1 = f(3) \neq f(3+2) = f(5) = 0## so 2 isn't a period.

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    Ahh, I see, my mistake.
    Are there functions for which 2 and 3 are both periods?

BiP

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

pwsnafu already answered this question by his example in post #2. f(2) = f(4) = f(6) = 1, and f(3) = f(6) = 1.

(Embarrassed mod note): Disregard what I wrote: 2 is NOT a period of this function.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Mar 6, 2014 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

pwsnafu answered in the negative. This f is not periodic with period 2. Nor is it periodic with period 3.

If any f() is periodic with both period x and with period y then it is clear that it is also periodic with every period that is a non-zero sum of integer multiples of x and y. In particular, it must be periodic with period (y-x).

3-2 = 1. It folllows that in order for f() to be periodic with period 3 and with period 2 that it must then also be periodic with period 1.

7. Mar 6, 2014 #6

Mark44

jbriggs, yes you are correct. I was lulled into thinking that since f(2) = f(4) = f(6) = 1, that 2 was a period. Not so. Thanks for the correction.

8. Mar 6, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On this subject, you might notice that the constant function ##f(x)\equiv C## has period ##r## for any real number ##r##.

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8
    What would be considered the period of a constant function?

BiP

10. Mar 7, 2014 #9

Mark44

Pick any number a, let b be an arbitrary real number. Then, since C = f(a) = f(a + b) = C, the period is b. That's pretty much what LCKurtz was saying.

11. Mar 7, 2014 #10
    I see, but what would be the fundamental period? 0?

BiP

12. Mar 7, 2014 #11

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What is the definition of a fundamental period? If you apply that definition, would a constant function have a fundamental period?

13. Mar 7, 2014 #12
    No, because the set of periods is unbounded below?

BiP

14. Mar 7, 2014 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might find this short article in the American Mathematical Monthly interesting:

R. H. Cox and L. C. Kurtz. 1966. Real periodic functions. Am.Math.Mon.,73,761

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2313992

If you are logged in to a university account, you should just be able to open it. It's only about 1 page long in the "classroom notes" section.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  15. Mar 7, 2014 #14

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes. Though I might quibble that the set of [positive] periods is bounded below (by zero). But that lower bound is not member of the set. Accordingly, the set has no minimum element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook