Periodic functions

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
Can a function have two periods? If so, which is the fundamental period?

Consider the following function, $$ f : \mathbb{N} → \mathbb{R} $$, defined by
f[n] = 1 if n is a multiple of 2 or 3, and 0 otherwise.
Then it is clear that 2 and 3 are both periods of this function, since translation of the input by either 2 or 3 renders the function's value invariant.

6, being the least common multiple of 2 and 3, is also "a period" of this function. But which is the fundamental period?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this confusion!

BiP

Answers and Replies

pwsnafu
Science Advisor
Can a function have two periods? If so, which is the fundamental period?
Yes, and the smallest positive number is the fundamental.

Consider the following function, $$ f : \mathbb{N} → \mathbb{R} $$, defined by
f[n] = 1 if n is a multiple of 2 or 3, and 0 otherwise.
Then it is clear that 2 and 3 are both periods of this function, since translation of the input by either 2 or 3 renders the function's value invariant.
Well

f(1) = 0
f(2) = 1
f(3) = 1
f(4) = 1
f(5) = 0
f(6) = 1

But ##1 = f(3) \neq f(3+2) = f(5) = 0## so 2 isn't a period.

Yes, and the smallest positive number is the fundamental.

Well

f(1) = 0
f(2) = 1
f(3) = 1
f(4) = 1
f(5) = 0
f(6) = 1

But ##1 = f(3) \neq f(3+2) = f(5) = 0## so 2 isn't a period.
Ahh, I see, my mistake.
Are there functions for which 2 and 3 are both periods?

BiP

Ahh, I see, my mistake.
Are there functions for which 2 and 3 are both periods?

BiP
pwsnafu already answered this question by his example in post #2. f(2) = f(4) = f(6) = 1, and f(3) = f(6) = 1.

(Embarrassed mod note): Disregard what I wrote: 2 is NOT a period of this function.

Last edited:
jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
pwsnafu already answered this question by his example in post #2. f(2) = f(4) = f(6) = 1, and f(3) = f(6) = 1.
pwsnafu answered in the negative. This f is not periodic with period 2. Nor is it periodic with period 3.

If any f() is periodic with both period x and with period y then it is clear that it is also periodic with every period that is a non-zero sum of integer multiples of x and y. In particular, it must be periodic with period (y-x).

3-2 = 1. It folllows that in order for f() to be periodic with period 3 and with period 2 that it must then also be periodic with period 1.

jbriggs, yes you are correct. I was lulled into thinking that since f(2) = f(4) = f(6) = 1, that 2 was a period. Not so. Thanks for the correction.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
On this subject, you might notice that the constant function ##f(x)\equiv C## has period ##r## for any real number ##r##.

On this subject, you might notice that the constant function ##f(x)\equiv C## has period ##r## for any real number ##r##.
What would be considered the period of a constant function?

BiP

What would be considered the period of a constant function?

BiP
Pick any number a, let b be an arbitrary real number. Then, since C = f(a) = f(a + b) = C, the period is b. That's pretty much what LCKurtz was saying.

Pick any number a, let b be an arbitrary real number. Then, since C = f(a) = f(a + b) = C, the period is b. That's pretty much what LCKurtz was saying.
I see, but what would be the fundamental period? 0?

BiP

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I see, but what would be the fundamental period? 0?
What is the definition of a fundamental period? If you apply that definition, would a constant function have a fundamental period?

What is the definition of a fundamental period? If you apply that definition, would a constant function have a fundamental period?
No, because the set of periods is unbounded below?

BiP

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You might find this short article in the American Mathematical Monthly interesting:

R. H. Cox and L. C. Kurtz. 1966. Real periodic functions. Am.Math.Mon.,73,761

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2313992

If you are logged in to a university account, you should just be able to open it. It's only about 1 page long in the "classroom notes" section.

Last edited:
jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, because the set of periods is unbounded below?
Yes. Though I might quibble that the set of [positive] periods is bounded below (by zero). But that lower bound is not member of the set. Accordingly, the set has no minimum element.