1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic functions

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    Is there a continuous periodic function which is not trigonometric. if yes, what?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Yes there are very many. Define a continuous function on [a,b] where f(a)=f(b) then define f outside of [a,b] so that f(x+(b-a))=f(x). A simple example that is not trigonometric (even though it looks like it is) is Arccos(cos(x)).

4. Jul 6, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f(x) = Arccos(cos(x)) = x, the identity function is periodic. Now besides this one and the trig functions, are there other non "man-made" (i.e. cut and pasted according to the process described by lurflurf) that are periodic?

5. Jul 6, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know any functions that aren't "man-made"!

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    No, the inverse cosine function returns values in a specific interval (which I can't remember atm), so you can't have arccos(cos(x)) = x for all x.

7. Jul 6, 2005 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is right Arccos(cos(x))=x on [0,pi], it is also periodic with period pi, so it repeats all those values. I use Arccos with the capital A to make clear that I am using the principle value of Arccos not just any value that gives the needed value. This is a general way to write periodic functions. let f(x) be diffined and continuous on [a,b] with f(a)=f(b) then
    g(x)=f(a+(b-a)(1+(1/pi)Arccos(cos(pi(x-a)/(b-a)))))
    is a periodic extension of f that is f=g on [a,b] and g(x+2n(b-a))=g(x)
    when n is an integer.
    remenber the definition of a periodic function is a function is periodic with period p if
    f(x+p)=f(x) for all x.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  8. Jul 6, 2005 #7

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Modulus is periodic, any real number to the power of any other real number + an imaginary variable is periodic.

For example, there is:
    e^(2+x*i)

9. Jul 6, 2005 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Every function is man-made. Not every function is "man-made". :wink:

10. Jul 13, 2005 #9
    every function is man-made yaar....mathematics itself is man-made ;) functions are infinite...i can define a function rite now 2 suit ur needs...lemme see...
    f(x)=x-2n for x belonging to [2n, 2n+1) where n is any integer
    = (2n+2)-x for x belonging to [2n+1, 2n+2]
    check this out...if i havent made any silly mistakes...it shud come out 2 be continuous and periodic...ive modelled it on the sin graph + on the [x] graph..lol...cudnt think of a better example sorry....cheers! ;)

11. Jul 13, 2005 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Constant functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook