1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic functions

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the fundamental period of the expression sinx/sinx.can you guys please illustrate how to make its graph?

2. Relevant equations
    Okay I know drawing graph can give me the period.Can the period be found by any other method?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm told that the answer is pi. That is pi radians.I don't know how to sketch it's graph

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What exactly do you mean? f(x) = sinx/sinx is a constant function without the points for which sinx = 0.

4. May 19, 2016 #3
    It's period is pi that's all I know about it and here is a key the period of cosx/cosx is also pi

5. May 19, 2016 #4

Math_QED

Homework Helper

what is cosx/cosx equal to?

6. May 19, 2016 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

The definition of a period is the smallest number n such that f(x+n) = f(x), right?
    If you look at ##f(x) = \frac{\sin x}{\sin x}## you should see what Math_QED was referring to...for all points where this function is defined, it can be simplified to a constant. However, there are places where the denominator is equal to zero and so f(x) at these points is undefined.
    You will notice that there is a regular spacing between these holes in the function. Use that as your period.

7. May 19, 2016 #6
    Okay so you mean y=sinx/sinx will be equal to one but holes will appear at x=0 and pi, 2pi...... npi?
    And the spacing bw these holes gives me the period as 1? And same for cos? It will be undefined at npi/2?

8. May 19, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. It gives a period of π .

9. May 20, 2016 #8
    Yeah I got it. It was a typo. Thanks guys and I really loved RUber's answer that made it crystal clear to me thanks bro

10. May 20, 2016 #9
    Okay another question.. What is the lcm of pi, 2pi and pi/3?

11. May 20, 2016 #10

RUber

Homework Helper

Lowest common multiple can't be smaller than the largest member of the group. Check that one first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted