What Determines When a Metal Ball Leaves an Oscillating Tray?

In summary, a 1.50-kg tray attached to a vertical ideal spring with force constant 185 N/m and a 275-g metal ball inside is pushed down 15.0 cm below its equilibrium point and released from rest. The ball will leave the tray when the normal force on it vanishes. To find the position at which the ball leaves the tray, draw a free body diagram and use Newton's 2nd Law to solve for the normal force. Then use periodic motion equations to determine the ball's position, time elapsed, and speed when it leaves the tray.
iwonde

Homework Statement

A 1.50-kg, horizontal, uniform tray is attached to a vertical ideal spring of force constant 185 N/m and a 275-g metal ball is in the tray. The spring is below the tray, so it can oscillate up-and-down. The tray is then pushed down 15.0 cm below its equilibrium point (call this point A) and released from rest. (a) How high above point A will the tray be when the metal ball leaves the tray? (b) How much time elapses between releasing the system at point A and the ball leaving the tray? (c) How fast is the ball moving just as it leaves the tray?

Homework Equations

ΣF = ma_y
-mg-ky = m((d^2y)/(dt^2)) + (k/m)y + g = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure of how to approach this problem, but I'm thinking of solving for y in the equation above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll provide a hint:

When the ball reaches the position at which it leaves the tray, it must lose contact with the tray, that implies that the condition for leaving the tray is that the normal force vanishes. You can solve for the normal force on the ball using Newton's 2nd Law.

The first thing you should then do is draw a free body diagram, identify all forces acting on the ball and in which direction they act.

After that you can write down the form of Newton's 2nd Law that holds for the ball.

After that apply my hint to solve for the position at which the ball leaves the tray, and then do the usual song and dance with your periodic motion equations, and I'm sure by that point you'll have no trouble proceeding.

Since the tray is initially pushed down 15.0 cm, the initial displacement (y_0) would be -0.15 m. Using this information, I can then solve for the amplitude of the oscillation (A) by setting the potential energy at point A equal to the kinetic energy at the highest point (point B) when the ball leaves the tray. This will give me the amplitude of the oscillation, which is the maximum height the tray will reach.

Once I have the amplitude, I can use the equation for simple harmonic motion (SHM) to solve for the time it takes for the tray to reach point B. From there, I can calculate the speed of the ball just as it leaves the tray by using the equation for velocity in SHM.

However, I also need to take into consideration the mass of the ball and how it affects the motion of the tray. Since the ball is attached to the tray, it will also contribute to the oscillation. I can solve for the total mass of the system (m_T) by adding the mass of the tray (m_t) and the mass of the ball (m_b). This will give me a new equation for SHM, taking into account the total mass of the system.

By solving for the amplitude, time, and velocity of the ball using the new equation, I can get a more accurate solution for the problem. Additionally, I can also use the equation for the period of SHM to find the time it takes for the ball to leave the tray, which will also give me the time elapsed between releasing the system at point A and the ball leaving the tray.

Overall, I would approach this problem by first solving for the amplitude of the oscillation using energy conservation, then using SHM equations to solve for the time and velocity of the ball. I would also take into account the total mass of the system to get a more accurate solution.

What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of motion in which an object repeats its path or trajectory over a certain period of time. This can include back-and-forth motion, circular motion, or any other type of motion that follows a predictable pattern.

What factors affect the period of a periodic motion?

The period of a periodic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the force acting on it, and the length of its path. Other factors that may affect the period include friction, air resistance, and the shape of the object.

How is the frequency of a periodic motion related to its period?

The frequency of a periodic motion is the number of complete cycles or oscillations that occur in one second. It is inversely proportional to the period of the motion, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and periodic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the displacement of the object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and is in the opposite direction of the displacement. Not all periodic motion is simple harmonic, but all simple harmonic motion is periodic.

How can we calculate the amplitude of a periodic motion?

The amplitude of a periodic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It can be calculated by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the highest or lowest point of the motion.