Solving an Oscillating Block's Period and Speed

In summary, the block has a period of oscillation given by T=2*pi/w, where w is the angular velocity. To determine w, we can use the equation dx/dt=v=w*A*cos(wt) and substitute in the values of x=0 and v=1m/s at the equilibrium position. This results in cos(wt)=1 and w=1/10s^-1. Therefore, the block's period of oscillation is T=2*pi/(1/10s^-1)=20s. Additionally, at the point where the spring is compressed by 5cm, the block's speed can be determined by substituting x=5cm and w=1/10s^-1 into the equation
prophet05

Homework Statement

A 500g block is attached to a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface. The block is pulled to stretch the spring by 10cm, then gently released. A short time later, as the block passes through the equilibrium position, its velocity is 1m/s.
>A)What is the block's period of oscillation?
>B)What is the block's speed at the point where the spring is compressed by 5cm?

Homework Equations

T = 2(pi)sqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having troubles starting this problem. I'm thinking since it's 1m/s at it's equilibrium position (5cm) then it take 20seconds for half a cycle? That sounds completely wrong. I need some help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
prophet05 said:

Homework Statement

A 500g block is attached to a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface. The block is pulled to stretch the spring by 10cm, then gently released. A short time later, as the block passes through the equilibrium position, its velocity is 1m/s.
>A)What is the block's period of oscillation?
>B)What is the block's speed at the point where the spring is compressed by 5cm?

Homework Equations

T = 2(pi)sqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having troubles starting this problem. I'm thinking since it's 1m/s at it's equilibrium position (5cm) then it take 20seconds for half a cycle? That sounds completely wrong. I need some help.

Have you encountered an equation that looks like x=Asin(w*t) ??

This is a general eqn for describing simple harmonic motion, which is what this problem is about. It also describes the motion of a pendulum.

w*t (angular velocity * time) in the sine expression above, is the key to answering this problem as it also determines the period thru the relation,

T=2*pi/w.

So how to determine w?

Well if we were given a value of time and position we could do so as we are given A, the amplitude, as equal to 10cm.

But all we are told is that a "short time later", its velocity is 1m/s as it passes thru the equalibrium point. That is when x=0.

We can differentiate the above expression with respect to time to get,

dx/dt=v=w*A*cos(wt). Since we know that x=0, it follows sin(wt)=0 at that time, and most importantly for the purposes of this problem cos(wt)=1 at the same time, so we can substitute 1 for cos(wt).

Can you finish from here?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, the period of oscillation (T) can be calculated using the equation T = 2(pi)sqrt(I/mgd), where I is the moment of inertia of the block, m is its mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

To calculate the period, we first need to find the moment of inertia of the block. Since the block is attached to a spring on a frictionless surface, we can assume that it will undergo simple harmonic motion. In this case, the moment of inertia can be calculated as I = md^2, where d is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation. In this problem, the block is moving horizontally, so we can assume that its center of mass is at the center of the block and d = 0. Therefore, the moment of inertia is simply I = 0.

Now, we can substitute the values into the equation for T: T = 2(pi)sqrt(0/mgd) = 0. This means that the period of oscillation is 0 seconds, which is not possible. This suggests that there may be an error in the given information or the problem statement.

For part B, we can use the equation for speed, v = sqrt(k/m)x, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. We know that the spring is compressed by 5cm (0.05m), so we can plug in the values to solve for v: v = sqrt(k/0.5)(0.05) = sqrt(2k). However, we do not have enough information to solve for k, so we cannot determine the block's speed at this point.

In conclusion, there may be an error in the given information or the problem statement. I would recommend double-checking the given values and making sure that all necessary information is provided in order to accurately solve this problem.

1. What is an oscillating block?

An oscillating block is a physical system that consists of a block attached to a spring, which is fixed to a surface. The block is able to move in a horizontal direction back and forth due to the force of the spring.

2. How do you determine the period of an oscillating block?

The period of an oscillating block is the time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion. It can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the block to move from one extreme position to the other and then back to its original position. This is also known as the time period of oscillation and is denoted by the symbol T.

3. What factors affect the period and speed of an oscillating block?

The period and speed of an oscillating block are affected by three main factors: the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The period is directly proportional to the mass and the stiffness, while it is inversely proportional to the amplitude. The speed of the block is directly proportional to the amplitude and inversely proportional to the mass and the stiffness.

4. How can you calculate the period and speed of an oscillating block?

The period of an oscillating block can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the block and k is the spring constant. The speed of the block can be calculated using the formula v = Aω, where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency, which can be calculated using the formula ω = 2π/T.

5. What is the significance of solving for the period and speed of an oscillating block?

Understanding the period and speed of an oscillating block is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It helps to analyze and predict the behavior of oscillating systems, which are present in many natural and man-made phenomena. It also allows for the design and optimization of various devices that utilize oscillations, such as clocks, springs, and musical instruments.