1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Motion

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 500g block is attached to a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface. The block is pulled to stretch the spring by 10cm, then gently released. A short time later, as the block passes through the equilibrium position, its velocity is 1m/s.
    >A)What is the block's period of oscillation?
    >B)What is the block's speed at the point where the spring is compressed by 5cm?

2. Relevant equations
    T = 2(pi)sqrt(I/mgd)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having troubles starting this problem. I'm thinking since it's 1m/s at it's equilibrium position (5cm) then it take 20seconds for half a cycle? That sounds completely wrong. I need some help.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2
    Have you encountered an equation that looks like x=Asin(w*t) ??

This is a general eqn for describing simple harmonic motion, which is what this problem is about. It also describes the motion of a pendulum.

w*t (angular velocity * time) in the sine expression above, is the key to answering this problem as it also determines the period thru the relation,

T=2*pi/w.

So how to determine w?

Well if we were given a value of time and position we could do so as we are given A, the amplitude, as equal to 10cm.

But all we are told is that a "short time later", its velocity is 1m/s as it passes thru the equalibrium point. That is when x=0.

We can differentiate the above expression with respect to time to get,

dx/dt=v=w*A*cos(wt). Since we know that x=0, it follows sin(wt)=0 at that time, and most importantly for the purposes of this problem cos(wt)=1 at the same time, so we can substitute 1 for cos(wt).

Can you finish from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?