Proving Periodic Orbit of x' & y' System

In summary: Systems that have orbits with this kind of behavior are called "dissipative systems".So, in summary, the given system has at least one periodic orbit, which can be proven by converting the equations to polar coordinates and setting r' = 0, resulting in r' = r(1-2r^2) + r^3cos(theta). This system exhibits a limit cycle behavior, making it a dissipative system.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Prove that the following system has at least one periodic orbit.
x' = x - y - 2x3 - 2xy2 + x2sqrt(x2 + y2)
y' = x + y - 2x2y - 2y3 + xysqrt(x2 + y2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted to polar coordinates to get r' = (xx'+yy')/r and theta' = (xy'-yx')/r2
For r' I got something ugly but in terms of theta' I get theta' = 1. If theta' = 1 = constant imply a periodic orbit? Any help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:
...but in terms of theta' I get theta' = 1. If theta' = 1 = constant imply a periodic orbit?

That will only imply that the angular speed along the trajectory is a constant; that doesn't guarantee by itself that the trajectory even forms a closed curve.

Try using polar coordinates in the other direction. Transform x , y , x' , and y' on both sides of the equation: you find something cancels that will simply r' considerably. (Note that an r2 can be factored out of the third and fourth terms in both differential equations.) Both the x' and the y' equations will lead to the same result.

Cheers, not sure what you mean by polar coordinates in the other direction though.

Last edited:
Use [itex]x = r \cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]y = r \sin \theta[/itex] , and also differentiate these to get expressions for x' and y' to use on the left-hand side, rather than trying to express r' and [itex]\theta \prime[/itex] in terms of x' and y' .

Thanks.
Doing it the first way I get r' = r3cos(theta)-2r3+r, theta' = 1. How do I interpret these to show that this system has a periodic orbit (if I can indeed interpret these).

squenshl said:
Thanks.
Doing it the first way I get r' = r3cos(theta)-2r3+r, theta' = 1. How do I interpret these to show that this system has a periodic orbit (if I can indeed interpret these).

Starting from [itex]x\prime = x - y - 2x r^{2} + \frac{x^{2}}{r} [/itex] ,

we get [itex](r \cos\theta)\prime = r ( 1 - 2r^{2} ) \cos\theta - r\sin\theta + r \cos^{2}\theta .[/itex]

Since [itex](r \cos\theta)\prime = r\prime \cos\theta - r\sin\theta [/itex],

we get to cancel the r sin(theta) term and divide through by cos(theta).I believe you should get [itex]r \prime = r ( 1 - 2r^{2} ) + r \cos\theta .[/itex]
Handling the y' equation leaves us with exactly the same result.

Now plainly we won't have r' = 0 everywhere, but is there a value of r for which r' will be zero on average over one or more cycles of theta? If so, then we've found a periodic orbit.

Awesome. Cheers mate, but I got r' = r(1-2r2) + r3cos(theta).

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
Starting from [itex]x\prime = x - y - 2x r^{2} + \frac{x^{2}}{r} [/itex] ...

(expletive) I'm sorry, I've been reading that last term wrong all this time (I should not try to do anything on PF after 1 AM).

This should be [itex]x\prime = x - y - 2x r^{2} + r x^{2} [/itex] , which leads to

we get [itex](r \cos\theta)\prime = r ( 1 - 2r^{2} ) \cos\theta - r\sin\theta + r^{3} \cos^{2}\theta .[/itex]

So your equation [itex]r \prime = r ( 1 - 2r^{2} ) + r^{3} \cos\theta [/itex] was correct.

This does not invalidate the rest of what I suggested (fortunately); it doesn't even change the value of r required (you want to "zero out" the first term on the right-hand side).If you plot your system of equations on a grapher that can handle vector fields, you'll find that the "orbit" constitutes what is called a "limit cycle". The "flow" outside this orbit is attracted to it, and so is the flow within the orbit.

Last edited:

1. What is a periodic orbit in a x' & y' system?

A periodic orbit in a x' & y' system is a closed trajectory or path that repeats itself after a certain period of time. It is a stable solution to a set of differential equations that describe the behavior of the system.

2. How can you prove the existence of a periodic orbit in a x' & y' system?

The existence of a periodic orbit can be proven using various mathematical methods such as the Poincaré-Bendixson theorem and Lyapunov stability analysis. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the system over time and identifying patterns or conditions that indicate the existence of a stable periodic orbit.

3. What is the significance of proving a periodic orbit in a x' & y' system?

Proving the existence of a periodic orbit in a x' & y' system is important because it provides insights into the behavior and stability of the system. It can also help in predicting the long-term behavior of the system and understanding how it will respond to external stimuli or changes in parameters.

4. Can a periodic orbit exist in a x' & y' system with chaotic behavior?

Yes, a periodic orbit can coexist with chaotic behavior in a x' & y' system. This is known as chaotic synchronization, where the system exhibits both periodic and chaotic behavior simultaneously. This phenomenon has been observed in various real-world systems, such as the weather and brain activity.

5. Are there any practical applications of proving periodic orbits in a x' & y' system?

Yes, the knowledge and understanding gained from proving periodic orbits in a x' & y' system can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and biology. It can help in designing stable control systems, predicting the behavior of complex systems, and understanding biological rhythms and cycles.