Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic orbits

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Let's consider the motion of a test particle in a central field.
    Is the Coulomb potential, 1/r, the only one that produces a periodic motion?
    If no, is there a condition for periodicity to occur?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Most potentials will have periodic oribts, but many of them won't be closed periodic orbits. You can use the idea of an "effective potential" to make the problem one-dimensional, the period of the orbit would then be the time interval between apocenteron or pericentron. But if the angle covered wasn't 2*pi radians, the orbit will be periodic, but not closed.

There's a list in Goldstein "Classical Mechanics" of the force-laws that give closed orbits, IIRC.
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot for your useful comment.

You gave me the idea to check in Landau-Lifchitz. (I don't have Goldstein unfortunately).
    He states that there are only two potentials that result in closed trajectories: 1/r and r² . That's already good to know. However, I don't see where this magic comes from. The algebra is simple and clear, but it does not indicate some more "fundamental" reason.

PS: In other words, can a property of an integral be understood in another way?
  5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've never had any deeper insight than the mathematical demonstration you've already seen, sorry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?