Periodic Solutions: Are All Valid?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Periodic
In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for the equation f(x) = cos(x) + cos(0.2x) and whether all solutions are equally valid or if some can be discarded. It is clarified that the solutions of the equation are not periodic with 2π and choosing a specific solution matters when using it in another function. It is suggested to use a standard trigonometric identity to get f(x) as a product of two cosines and determine the period and pattern within that period. Further clarification is given on the terminology used and how to show that f(x) is periodic with the same period as cos(0.2x).
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi guys

Say I have an equation of the form

f(x) = cos(x)+cos(0.2x),

and I wish to find the solutions x. When I plot this graph, I see multiple solutions, but there is no apparent period for the solutions. Are all the solutions equally valid, or can some be discarded?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "solutions", do you mean "zeroes", i.e., solutions of the equation [tex]f(x) = 0[/tex]?

If this is the case, there is no sense in which any solution is less "equally valid" than any other. A solution of this equation is a solution of the equation.

However, if it seems to you that the solutions of this particular equation are not periodic, you need to look more closely -- at the equation, not at a graph. The function [tex]f(x) = \cos x + \cos (0.2x)[/tex] is periodic indeed.

Hmm, let's say that a solution x0 to f(x) is to be used in another function g(x)=sin(x). Since the zeroes of f(x) are not periodic with 2π, it matters which zero I choose. Is there a way to determine which one?

One can't answer this meaningfully without more context.

Hi Niles! :smile:

Use one of the standard trigonometric identities to get f(x) as a product of two sines.

That should give you a period, and slso a pattern within that period. :wink:

Niles said:
Hmm, let's say that a solution x0 to f(x) is to be used in another function g(x)=sin(x). Since the zeroes of f(x) are not periodic with 2π, it matters which zero I choose. Is there a way to determine which one?

Your terminology is very imprecise. There is no such thing as a solution to a function. There is the idea of a solution to an equation, so maybe you mean solutions to the equation f(x) = 0. IOW the x-intercepts of this function.

If you look at the graph of the function f(x) = cos(x) + cos(.2x), you should be able to see that it is periodic. In fact, its period is exactly the same as the period of cos(.2x). Once you figure out what the period is, it's straightforward to prove that f is periodic with that period, by showing that f(x + P) = f(x) for all real x.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Niles! :smile:

Use one of the standard trigonometric identities to get f(x) as a product of two sines.

That should give you a period, and slso a pattern within that period. :wink:

You mean two cosines, right? But I understand the thing with the period; my problem is that within that period, there are solutions that are not 2π-periodic with each other. So when I have a harmonic function g(x), which takes the zeroes of f(x) as arguments, then I am not sure which one to pick.
Mark44 said:
Your terminology is very imprecise. There is no such thing as a solution to a function. There is the idea of a solution to an equation, so maybe you mean solutions to the equation f(x) = 0. IOW the x-intercepts of this function.

If you look at the graph of the function f(x) = cos(x) + cos(.2x), you should be able to see that it is periodic. In fact, its period is exactly the same as the period of cos(.2x). Once you figure out what the period is, it's straightforward to prove that f is periodic with that period, by showing that f(x + P) = f(x) for all real x.

Yeah, I agree. It is very imprecise, but that is exactly what I mean. Thanks for claryfing that.

1. What are periodic solutions?

Periodic solutions are solutions to a differential equation that repeat themselves after a certain period of time. In other words, the solution function has a repeating pattern over time.

2. Are all periodic solutions valid?

No, not all periodic solutions are valid. A periodic solution is only valid if it satisfies the initial conditions and the differential equation. If it does not meet these criteria, then it is not a valid solution.

3. How do you determine if a periodic solution is valid?

To determine if a periodic solution is valid, you need to check if it satisfies the initial conditions and if it satisfies the differential equation. This can be done by plugging in the solution function into the differential equation and checking if it is equal to 0. If it is, then the solution is valid.

4. Can a periodic solution be unstable?

Yes, a periodic solution can be unstable. This means that even though it satisfies the initial conditions and the differential equation, it may not be a physically realistic solution. For example, it may involve infinite or imaginary values.

5. How do periodic solutions relate to real-world phenomena?

Periodic solutions are important in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. Many natural processes, such as the motion of planets, the oscillations of a pendulum, and the behavior of chemical reactions, can be described using periodic solutions. Studying these solutions can help us understand and make predictions about the behavior of these systems.