What is the Periodic Table of Videos?

In summary, the University of Nottingham has created a series of videos illustrating each of the 118 elements. The videosfeature a variety of experiments, some of which are too dangerous to be performed in classrooms. The team behind the new guide to the periodic table said it should be complete by the end of July.
OAQfirst
From the University of Nottingham, a video series on the 118 elements.
The chemical elements are being brought to life online in a series of YouTube videos filmed at a UK university. The project by a team in Nottingham is designed to stimulate interest in chemistry and comprises videos illustrating each of the 118 elements. They feature a variety of experiments, some of which are too dangerous to be performed in classrooms. The team behind the new guide to the periodic table said it should be complete by the end of July. In the videos, scientists also recall personal anecdotes and amazing facts about each element in the table, from hydrogen (1) to Ununoctium (118).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7507986.stm

Their website:
http://www.periodicvideos.com/

And their YouTube channel:

http://youtube.com/user/periodicvideos

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I remember a periodic table from what I believe was elementary school. Each element had an actual picture of the element in it's elemental form. You can imagine, the far right side was very boring. Just looked like a bunch of empty vials supposedly containing the nobel gasses. Most likely, they actually were empty!

Thank-you for the link. That will be fun for my daughter!

excellent post i really appreciate this :P it'll keep me interested!

Thanks for sharing these helpful links. I have found one more site mchmultimedia(dot)com. It also provides online help for science students.

Eric McClean said:
I have found one more site mchmultimedia(dot)com. It also provides online help for science students.

This seems to be a commercial site. However, I did notice some free tools on this page:

http://mchmultimedia.com/store/chemistry-online-help.php

The one I looked at seemed to be a simple swf app embedded in an html file. It tried to 'phone home' when I used it, though... hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Periodic Table of Videos?

The Periodic Table of Videos is a popular educational series on YouTube that features videos explaining the elements of the periodic table. Each element has its own video that includes demonstrations, interviews with experts, and interesting facts about the element.

2. How many elements are on the Periodic Table of Videos?

As of now, there are 118 elements on the Periodic Table of Videos. However, new elements are constantly being discovered and added to the table, so this number may change in the future.

3. Who created the Periodic Table of Videos?

The Periodic Table of Videos was created by the University of Nottingham's School of Chemistry in collaboration with Brady Haran, a filmmaker and video journalist. The series was first launched in 2008 and has since gained millions of views and followers.

4. Is the information on the Periodic Table of Videos accurate?

Yes, the information presented on the Periodic Table of Videos is accurate and based on scientific research. The videos are created and reviewed by experts in the field of chemistry to ensure the information is correct and up-to-date.

5. Can I use the Periodic Table of Videos for educational purposes?

Absolutely! The Periodic Table of Videos is a great resource for students and educators to learn and teach about the elements of the periodic table. The videos are free to watch and can be used in classrooms or for personal learning.