• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Periodic Table: Transition Metals

1. Regarding: Transition metals of the Periodic Table

2. Here's my question: the D-Block transition metals will always lose e- (& never gain e-'s) to fully fill (or half-fill) their d-subshells, right?

3. Given what I learned about stable, fully-filled and half-filled subshells, the teacher said the that main group elements in the P-block can form cations or anions. I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone could help me, that would be great.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Here's my question: the D-Block transition metals will always lose e- (& never gain e-'s) to fully fill (or half-fill) their d-subshells, right?
Sometimes (n+1)s electron will jump down to nd to fill it. For example ground state of copper is 3d104s1 and not 3d94s2 that you could expect.

3. Given what I learned about stable, fully-filled and half-filled subshells, the teacher said the that main group elements in the P-block can form cations or anions. I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone could help me, that would be great.
Please elaborate - no idea where is the problem and where you want to go. Yes, p-block elements can form cations or anions. Indium(I) iodide comes to mind.