Periodic Table: Transition Metals

In summary, transition metals of the Periodic Table, specifically the D-Block elements, will typically lose electrons to fully or half-fill their d-subshells. However, sometimes the (n+1)s electron will jump down to the nd level to fill it, as seen in the ground state of copper. Additionally, main group elements in the P-block can form cations or anions, such as Indium(I) iodide.
Astronomer1
1. Regarding: Transition metals of the Periodic Table

2. Here's my question: the D-Block transition metals will always lose e- (& never gain e-'s) to fully fill (or half-fill) their d-subshells, right?

3. Given what I learned about stable, fully-filled and half-filled subshells, the teacher said the that main group elements in the P-block can form cations or anions. I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone could help me, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronomer1 said:
Here's my question: the D-Block transition metals will always lose e- (& never gain e-'s) to fully fill (or half-fill) their d-subshells, right?

Sometimes (n+1)s electron will jump down to nd to fill it. For example ground state of copper is 3d104s1 and not 3d94s2 that you could expect.

3. Given what I learned about stable, fully-filled and half-filled subshells, the teacher said the that main group elements in the P-block can form cations or anions. I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone could help me, that would be great.

Please elaborate - no idea where is the problem and where you want to go. Yes, p-block elements can form cations or anions. Indium(I) iodide comes to mind.

What are transition metals?

Transition metals are a category of elements found in the periodic table. They are located in the center of the table, between the main group elements and the inner transition metals. They are characterized by their ability to form multiple oxidation states and their unique electronic configurations.

What are the physical properties of transition metals?

Transition metals generally have high melting and boiling points, high density, and are good conductors of heat and electricity. They are also malleable and ductile, and often have a shiny appearance.

What are the chemical properties of transition metals?

Transition metals have a wide range of chemical properties due to their ability to form different oxidation states. They also tend to form complex compounds and have a strong tendency to form bonds with other elements, making them essential in many biological and industrial processes.

What are some common uses of transition metals?

Transition metals have a wide range of uses in various industries. Some common uses include as catalysts in chemical reactions, in the production of jewelry and coins, in electronics and technology, and in construction materials.

What is the significance of the transition metals in the periodic table?

The transition metals play a crucial role in the periodic table as they bridge the gap between the main group elements and the inner transition metals. They also exhibit a wide range of properties and are essential for many industrial processes, making them an important category of elements in the periodic table.