1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Table

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    :frown:

Hello, guys. I need help. My professor ask us to search for the 20 scientists who prepared the Periodic Table. Well, so far, I only found 10 scientists.

1.Aristotle
    2.Antoine Lavoisier
    3.Jöns Jakob Berzelius
    4.Johann Döbereiner
    5.John Newlands
    6.Lothar Meyer
    7.Dmitri Mendeleev
    8.William Ramsay
    9.Henry Moseley
    10.Glenn Seaborg

but I'm not sure...

Well, anyway, can you give me the names of the 20 scientists who prepared the Periodic Table? Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would add Joseph Priestley and John Dalton , both 18C British chemists

John Dalton has probably the best claim to inventing the periodic table and Mendeleev to refining it.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4
    who are the other 8 scientists?

6. Jul 21, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There aren't 20 scientists that created the periodic table - it's not like there was a committee that sat down and invented it.
    The ideas behind it were developed over 2500 years from greek philosophy about atoms to quantum mechanics.

7. Jul 21, 2008 #6

Astronuc

I think one would have to look at the understanding of the elements and their periodicity (or chemical similarity) before and after Mendeleev developed his version of the periodic table.

Google: "Dmitri Mendeleev","Periodic Table" - and see what is available.

For example - http://www.aip.org/history/curie/periodic.htm

or - http://www.rsc.org/education/teachers/learnnet/periodictable/pre16/develop/mendeleev.htm - where one will find

Rather than scientists who created the periodic table (other than those like Mendeleev), I think one is looking for scientists who discovered elements and contributed either to the development of the periodic table (e.g. before Mendeleev) and those who filled in the holes.

One can also read about elements and their history at www.webelements.com . Under the history of technetium, one finds "Technetium was discovered by Carlo Perrier, Emilio Segre at 1937 in Italy."

8. Jul 22, 2008 #7

Borek

Have you followed link I posted? Mark (owner of the metha-synthesis) has quite a collection of periodic tables of different shapes and forms, starting from ancient Greek, ending in modern times.

9. Jul 22, 2008 #8
    Thank you guys...!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?