1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Waves

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A jetskier is moving at 9.8 m/s in the direction in which the waves on a lake are moving. Each time he passes over a crest, he feels a bump. The bumping frequency is 1.1 Hz, and the crests are separated by 5.6 m. What is the wave speed?

2. Relevant equations

velocity = frequency * wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought to multiply the 1.1 Hz which is the frequency by the 5.6 which is the wavelength to get a velocity...I got 6.16 m/s then I was not sure what to do next...should I add it to the jetskier's velocity 9.8 m/s because they are going in the same direction? What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the doppler effect. For an observer moving away from the source of the waves (i.e. moving the the same direction) then the observed frequency is:

[tex]f'=\left( 1-\frac{v_o}{v}\right) f [/tex]

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    only the bumping frequency is given...how do I solve for the other frequency to plug into the equation

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that frequency is the wave speed divided by the wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?