Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periods of Trigonometric Functions

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    Here are two general questions

How would you find the period of:

sin(2Pi*t)+sin(4Pi*t)

or

cos(3t)sin(2t)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2
    The first is simple it is one period of the lower frequency ( the other is a simple harmonic ) . In the second did you really mean multiply or just leave out a + sign??
    I do not always find the maths simple --- my fall back to this ( to get a clue ) is to graph the function. ( But not by hand ) .
    I always use QBasic in which you can set up the equations and the graph in a matter of minutes .
    However cos(a).cos(b) == a function of a+b and a-b so one frequency is 5 and the other 1 , so the frequency compared to either of the originals is 1.
    That is, due to multiplication beats are formed between two frequencies
    Since the normal wave equation is A.Sin ( 2.pi/T.t) it , means that 2.pi/T=1
    so T = 2.pi
    To solve these equations for T -- first compare them to the usual equation

The multiplier of t is 2.pi.f for a simple wave or 2.pi/T --- then if required use the normal trig relations for compound functions .
    In cases of addition of sine waves there will only be a common period if the frequencies have an integer relation.
    The same is true for multiplications . In general there may be no period at all, or maybe extremely long. For instance cos(99.t).cos(101.t) will will have a period about 50x times greater than either .
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?