Periods were all irregular for months after shot

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, a woman is seeking advice on two topics related to her menstrual cycle. The first is regarding knee pain she experiences during her period, which may be caused by water retention and pressure on nerve endings. The second is about the effects of birth control on her period, as she and her friend have experienced irregularities after going off the pill or receiving the Depo Provera shot. She is considering taking supplements and consuming anti-inflammatory foods to help with her knee pain. She also mentions her frustration with the monthly pain and the inconvenience of dealing with it. Other forum members offer helpful advice and sources for supplements. Additionally, she clarifies that she meant irregularities after stopping the pill, not while on it. She is advised to speak
HEY HEY!

what is that scalpel doing next to my reproductive system?

Heeyy is this even legal??

Physics news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
What? The rusty nail clippers? Don't you worry. We've done this thousands of times. Just ask Franzbear. He's still alive. :wink:

cronxeh said:
HEY HEY!

what is that scalpel doing next to my reproductive system?

And don't expect the guys to come to your rescue. Those who aren't afaid of the same happening to them are still mad at you for calling people bacteria! :biggrin: Maybe now you understand why sleep deprivation is bad for your health. :devil: :rofl:

Well... mmmmmk... i guess i'll work on getting a pap... from whoever i guess...
I think maybe MIH is right about the knee and back thing being mild but chronic and then worsened by my period. I know my back pain is chronic and due to my other issues, i guess the knee thing makes sense as well... i'll check though with my therapist.

Yes, let's cut up cronxeh, we'll be all salem witch trial esque. Make 'em bleed for a week, if they live, we kill them, if they die, then we know they were a pure soul...

heh, also I'm retarded... i was sitting here a few seconds ago checking my email, and i was like "jeeze, my knees feel kinda crummy... i wonder why..." took a second before i was like, oh ya... my period... midol must be wearing off...

Gale17 said:
Yes, let's cut up cronxeh, we'll be all salem witch trial esque. Make 'em bleed for a week, if they live, we kill them, if they die, then we know they were a pure soul...
:devil: :rofl: :devil:

Danger said:
I'd expect you to know by now that I'm not an expert on anything.

Of course you are.
"Ex", meaning "has-been", and "spurt" meaning "a drip under pressure". :biggrin:

Gale, setting aside the periods, you could do a lot worse than try hittsquads suggestions of glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate (you can get capsules with them both in).

I have horrific joints (my knees are shot), and I took them lots when I used to mountain bike and ski lots. It's definitely worth a try. At the time, it was hard to get it in the UK for human use, so my uncle (a vet) gave me some for horses instead!

brewnog said:
I have horrific joints (my knees are shot), and I took them lots when I used to mountain bike and ski lots. It's definitely worth a try. At the time, it was hard to get it in the UK for human use, so my uncle (a vet) gave me some for horses instead!

ah... horse meds... yes, i think that explains quite a bit dear...

Gale17 said:
ah... horse meds... yes, i think that explains quite a bit dear...

Hey, I took them for years, and I turned out alrigh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh-igh...

I have the same nagging knee pain and back pain before I get my period. I think its from water retention. But its so miserable. I've never heard of anyone else who has had that...what did your trainer say?

My wife's thoughts;

It is possible that the poster has some endometriosis and is experiencing the effects of this now that she has gone off the pill. The pill would have been regulating her cycle and helping to maintain relatively stable hormone levels. This not only regulates her periods but it can also reduce endometriosis symptoms.

Going off the pill means that her body now has to do the work of hormone regulation and production by itself and in some women it can take several months for the natural cycles to regulate. When off the pill she may notice that her hormones are more responsive and reactionary to forces such as stress and weight change which can also influence irregularity. The whole reason that women have a period is so that they can get pregnant, if the body senses that it is not a good time to get pregnant it will suppress the periods until circumstances change. Hormones are produced in a range of normal and they work in concert with other hormones and chemistry we produce to make our bodies function. If the range changes for some reason or our chemistry is off the body will react to it and change the way we function.

She should speak to her gynecologist about the irregular cycle and joint pain. Getting the correct diagnosis goes along way to ensuring she gets the best treatment.

Well, I haven't really been on the pill much in my lifetime, and I still get knee pain depsite being off it for over 2 years.

So, at least I'm comforted someone else has the same problem. Doctors haven't really given me much insight. But I've learned that if I do yoga regularly then the pain isn't very bad. If i pay particular attention to my legs the week before my period, the pain is very dulled. Pain medicines help as well. As to the cause, i really don't know. Good luck.

You can come to my house and I'll get rid of that problem for you for 9 months... (PS. Don't tell my wife!)

ha! 2 words - child support:eek:

funny guy. LOL

Actually no that's creepy what NeoDevin said.

Gale said:
I wasn't sure where's best to post this, its a serious thread... maybe bio would've been better, but i figure moonbear is always in GD too... so, I'm not really sure who I'm expecting to answer my questions... but I've talked to my mum, and some girlfriends... not so helpful. I've also googled... but ya... so just in case someone here can help.. i'll try.

So, two questions or topics i guess.
First, during my period i get wicked knee pain. I thought it was sort of random, but then I've started physical therapy lately, and my therapist asked "do you get knee pain during your period?" and i was like, "holy, you i do, tons, it hurts so bad..." and i went on about the pain, and never thought to ask if it was normal or why it happens. i will ask her when i see her next... but I'm on my period now, so i'd rather know now...

Second, and maybe this is really too general. cause I've looked at a few articles and they're all over the place, but birthcontrol and your period... effects? i went off the pill and then didn't have a period for 2 and a half months. My friend was on the shot, and her periods were all irregular for months after. We both were formerly very regular girls. No one ever mentioned anything about it to me before i went on the pill, and i talked to my doc about it a lot. i even took the low dose cause i was worried about side effects. i mean, maybe it was just stress for both of us... or something i dunno... but I'm wary, hormones went in, then weird stuff happened... i hate medicines for exactly that reason...

anyways... i need to get another ice pack, some midol, and some chocolate, else i'll be cranky!

I get terrible joint pain about three days before I start. Knees, elbows, back, wrists, and feet. I feel like I am 80 years old then. I asked my doctor about it, he tested me for rheumatoid factor(which was negative) and said just to take NSAIDs during that time.