What Are the Potential Long-Term Effects of High Caffeine Consumption?

In summary, the drink "Power Horse" contains caffeine, taurine, lucuronolactone, artifical flavor (aroma), caffeine, color (aramel), inositol, niacein, pantothenic acid, vit, B6, B12, riboflavin. It is imported from Austria and has a high price. It can cause acidosis, addiction, stomach problems, and osteoporosis if consumed excessively.
STAii
Hello.
I was just at the super market, and i saw a drink which is supposed to give you "energy".
It is called "Power Horse".
Although it is very expensive (imported from Austria), i decided to buy it.
Now, i don't really like the idea of drink that gives energy, therefore i suspected in its ingredients, and want to know what you people think.
Ingredients: Carboned water, sucrose, glucose, citric acid, taurine, lucuronolactone, artifical flavor (aroma), caffeine, colour (aramel), inositol, niacein, pantothenic acid, vit, B6, B12, riboflavin.
Nutrintional Information For Every 100 ml (note that the can is 250 ml):
Energy 45 KCal
Carbohydrate 10.70 g
Fat 0.00 g
Riboflavin 0.06 mg
Vitamin B6 2.00 mg
Taurine 0.40 g
Caffeine 32.00 mg
Pantothenic acid 2.00 mg
Niacin 8.00 mg

Now what i was wondering is :
1-Can this big amount of caffeine make any permanent "disability" or "malfunction" to a normal human ?
2-What are the side effects of drinking this drink (the temporary side effects) ?
3-Does anyone see any substance which has been prooved to be bad for the body (maybe recently ?)

Thanks all.

Biology news on Phys.org
Don't think it'd be any worse then coffee. I don't think there are any long term affects of caffeine, although it can lead to high blood pressure if you drink it like a grad student. Caffeine is a stimulant, it keeps you awake, increases heart rate, gives you the shakes if you drink to much. I hear it can be quite dangerous if you overdose, but you'd never find that much caffeine in a commercial beverage.

ANd

Causes acidosis.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
gives you the shakes if you drink to much.

Or not enough...

mmmmm... Coffee...

Caffeine can cause mild addiction, but that drink just has about as much as a cup of coffee. The other ingredients are crap, they will not really do anything -- though taurine is a common component of energy drinks.

The only non-controlled substance that will pep you up -- besides caffeine and nicotine -- is ephedrine, or pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), and that has neither.

It's my understanding also that excessive continued consumption of caffience can also cause stomach problems (ulcers, etc...) but I'm not sure of this.

Caffeine leeches calcium from your bones, and can play a role in osteoporosis. So if you insist on drinking caffeine, make sure you eat enough green, leafy veggies in order to compensate!

The synergism from combined legal herbal stimulants (like caffeine, tea, ginko, cocoa, ginseng, nicotine, ephedra, etc.) can lead to dependency, anxiety, sleep disturbance, mania and prolonged depressions - especially in children.

1. What are the long-term health effects of consuming caffeine?

Some studies have linked high caffeine consumption to potential health risks such as increased blood pressure, heart disease, and anxiety. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of caffeine on health.

2. Can caffeine consumption lead to addiction?

Yes, caffeine is a stimulant that can lead to physical and psychological dependence when consumed in large amounts. It can also cause withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, irritability, and fatigue when consumption is abruptly stopped.

3. How does caffeine affect sleep patterns?

Caffeine is a known sleep disruptor and can make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep. It can also reduce the quality of sleep, leading to feelings of fatigue and restlessness the next day.

4. Is caffeine safe for everyone to consume?

Caffeine affects individuals differently, and some people may be more sensitive to its effects. It is generally safe for most healthy adults to consume moderate amounts of caffeine, but it may not be suitable for those with certain health conditions or taking certain medications.

5. Can consuming caffeine have any long-term effects on brain function?

Some studies have shown that long-term caffeine consumption may lead to changes in brain function, including increased alertness and improved memory. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of caffeine on the brain.

Back