Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permanganate to MnO2?

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1
    Okay, first of all, can an alcohol be oxidized by permanganate?...of course it can...
    In the case of an alkene the permanganate forms a cyclic intermediate where the double bond once was. The oxygens break off (from the permanganate) and are protonated by an acid or H2O if no acid was added. This forms a diol and MnO2. MnO2, how I loathe you. It also appears in the oxidation of alcohols. But there is no cyclic intermediate formed because there is no diol produced. So I read that the O in the alcohol attacks the Mn in MnO4-, one of the O's in MnO4 is protonated by the H in the OH group (proton transfer)...anyway, look here for a better understanding:

Everything is nice and dandy until we get to the bottom of that page where it's mentioned how manganate reacts with water to form MnO2, MnO4-, and OH. My question is HOW DOES THIS OCCUR? It was simple with the alkene because the O's just broke off and MnO2 was formed. But I don't see how all of this happens with just water. Help.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted