Permittivity permeability

1. Could someone please tell me the most detailed and direct definition of permeability and permittivity. I know that they are porportionalities of some sort but what else could they be viewed as? Why is εμ = 1/c^2 ?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. There's a text called

"The Electromagnetic Interaction" which gives quite a good description. I highly reccomend it.

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,315
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. jeff

jeff 658
    Science Advisor

Here's a tip. Often, when you've got some physical quantity that you don't understand, it helps to determine it's dimensional units. On the left hand side of the above expression, the dimensional units of a speed is involved. The next step is to identify what constants are available in the problem. For example, if the setting is electromagnitism in a vacuum, there's only one relevant constant with those dimensions, namely the speed of light.

This kind of dimensional analysis may not immediately clear everything up for you, but it can point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?