1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutable matrices

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    I have this question as homework from my Algebra class:
    A square matrix X is called exchangeable with A if AX=XA.Determine the set of permutable matrices with [​IMG].

My question is,how do I find that set?I know that a matrix to be permutable all rows and columns must be the same and that a square matrix is composed by the same number of rows and columns.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You defined "exchangeable" with A and then asked for "permutable" with A?? Then you defined "permutable" matrix without any reference to a matrix A?? What am I missing?

If you want to find all matrices that are "exchangeable" with A (standard terminology: "that commute with A"), then look at
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1 \\0 & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\c & d\end{array}\right][/tex]

If I understand your definition of "permutable" correctly: "all rows and columns must be the same", then all 2 by 2 permutable matrices are of the form
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & a \\ a & a\end{array}\right][/tex]
    and the only "permutable" matrix that is "exchangeable" with A is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end {array} \right][/tex]

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3

Sorry for the mistypeing!:redface: When I said "exchengeable I meant to say permutable,so it would be like:

"A square matrix X is called permutable with A if AX=XA..."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?