1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation and combination

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are 15 players, out of which 4 players own one 4 seater car each, and the car will be driven by the owner himself. In how many ways can they be seated in the cars?

2. Relevant equations
    (3n)!/(n!)3

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know that i have to substitute this equation but i am getting confused where, is how should i arrange the remaining 3 players

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't clear from your statement of the problem whether you just care about which players get in which car or you also care about where they sit in the car too. In either case I would think about the problem like this: Since each owner drives his own car, you have 3 seats in each car and 11 players to seat. Actually I would think of one more player, Mr. Missing, who occupies an empty seat. Kinda' like the guy in Clint Eastwood's empty chair.

Then I would ask myself, how many ways can 3 players be selected for car A, then for car B, then for car C, then for car D. Then I would consider if I care where they sit once they are in the car.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook