1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation and combination

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how many 4 digit numbers are there which do not contain more than 2 different numbers?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    all can contain the same digit
    any 3 out of the 4 places can be occupied by the same digit
    and
    any 2 out of the 4 places can be occupied by the same digit

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

You are on the right track, think about it this way. You have a choice of choosing the numbers from 1 to 9 and then you have three cases:

1. the case where all 4 numbers are the same number as you chose

2. the case where 3 numbers are the same number as you chose as well as you have to choose another number that's different from the other three

3. the case where 2 numbers are the same number as you chose and you have to choose 2 other numbers where they are different from each other and different from the other 2 you previously chose

Does that make sense?

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Shouldn't that be digits from 0 to 9 (a total of 10 possible digits)?

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably yes, but (presumably) the first (left-most) digit cannot be 0. (Since this is not made clear, if I were doing the problem I would solve both versions.)

RGV

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

As you mention, it's not clear if leading zeroes are allowed, like a combination lock with 4 digits. I would assume they are allowed, since otherwise it eliminates all the combinations such as 0xxx, 00xx, 000x, 0000.

7. Oct 8, 2012 #6
    Yes that was a typo, I did mean from 0 to 9 but I am not too sure if the first number would be allowed to be a 0. I would personally think otherwise, not letting the first number to 0

8. Oct 8, 2012 #7
    as per the answer given, you will need to consider both the cases!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook