Permutation and Combination

For part b), there are three cases to consider, depending on the value of c. If c = 0, then there are 3 possibilities for b and 4 for a for a total of 12. If c = 3, then there are still 3 possibilities for b but now only 3 for a for a total of 9. If c = 7, then there are only two possibilities for b and 3 for a for a total of 6. So the total number of such equations is 12 + 9 + 6 = 27 BUT we must also count the case where c = 1 which gives b^2 - 4ac = b^2 -
e.pramudita

Homework Statement

If three different number are taken from the set {0, 1, 3, 5, 7} to be used as the coefficient of a standard quadratic equation, how many such quadratic equations can be formed? How many of these have real roots?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a: "How many such quadratic equations can be formed?"

Quadratic equation is defined by ax^2 +bx +c =0 , a is not 0
First box (x^2) = 4 (consist of everything but zero)
Second box (x^1) = 4 (consist of everything but the number on the first box)
Third box (x^0) = 3 (consist of everything but the number of the first box and the second box)
So 4*4*3=48.
But the answer says 88. Is the answer wrong?Part b: "How many of these have real roots?
Imaginary roots have D<0
So let's find how many equation that have imaginary roots and then subtract Part(a) answer with that number.

Case 1: x^2 -> non zero -> (4)
x^1 -> {0,1,3} -> (3)
x^0 -> {non zero except the first and second box} -> (3)
So 4*3*3=36

Case 2: x^2 -> non zero -> (4)
x^1 -> {5} -> (1)
x^0 -> {3,7} ->(2)
So 4*1*2=8

I can think of 2 other cases but let stop for a second here.
From here on we can conclude that there is at least 36+8=44 combination. Thus there are 48-44=4 quadratic equation that have real roots.

But I can think of at least 12 real roots.
Set coefficient x^0 = 0 and other coefficient with the rest.
We can get.
4*3*1=12

But the answer is 28.

I am confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
the standard quadratic equation is f(x) = a(x - h)2 + k

thchian said:
the standard quadratic equation is f(x) = a(x - h)2 + k

Can you give more explanation on how to solve it?

Taking the quadratic to be of the form ##ax^2 + bx + c##, ##a \neq 0##, using a slightly different method to yours, I also get 48.

e.pramudita said:
Can you give more explanation on how to solve it?

IF the number that can be used is only 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, without any restriction, the numbers of equations that can be formed at most are only 5P3=60, right?
So, do u think it means 10, 37, 137,... those numbers can be be used?

thchian said:
IF the number that can be used is only 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, without any restriction, the numbers of equations that can be formed at most are only 5P3=60, right?

There is restriction in that a cannot be 0. I think it means three numbers from the given set( I.e you cannot combine them to form larger digit numbers)

thchian said:

There is a restriction
If three different number are taken from the set

CAF123 said:
Taking the quadratic to be of the form ##ax^2 + bx + c##, ##a \neq 0##, using a slightly different method to yours, I also get 48.

How about the second part?

e.pramudita said:
There is a restriction

i mean if no restriction answer = 60, then when there is a restriction answer will be < 60...

e.pramudita said:
How about the second part?
For real root quadratics, you have ##b^2 - 4ac \geq 0\,\Rightarrow\,b^2 \geq 4ac## (valid because ##a,c ## both positive). How many combinations of a,b,c satisfy this?

Last edited:
For the second part, consider the cases in this order:
c = 0
c > 0, b = 0 or 1
c > 0, b = 3
c > 0, b > 3

For part a), note that the answer cannot possibly be 88. As thchian pointed out, there would be, without any restrictions, 5P3 = 60 possibilities so with some restrictions this number must be less than 60. To see that it is necessarily 48 again, count the number of combinations which result in a being 0. This gives 4P2 = 12. So subtracting gives 60 -12 = 48.

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of objects from a set without considering the order in which they are chosen.

2. How do I calculate permutations and combinations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. For combinations, the formula is n!/r!(n-r)!.

3. Can you give an example of a permutation and combination?

An example of a permutation is the number of ways 5 students can be arranged in a line for a photo (5! = 120). An example of a combination is the number of ways 3 people can be chosen from a group of 6 for a team (6!/3!(6-3)! = 20).

4. How are permutations and combinations used in real life?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They are used to solve problems related to probability, counting principles, and data analysis.

5. What is the importance of understanding permutations and combinations?

Understanding permutations and combinations is crucial in solving mathematical and real-life problems that involve arranging or selecting objects. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.