1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation and cycles

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let P be a permutation of a set. Show that P(i1i2...ir)B-1 = (P(i1)P(i2)...P(ir))

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Since P is a permutation, it can be written as the product of cycles. So I figured that showing that the above equation holds for cycles will be sufficient to show that it holds for all permutations.

Let C = (im1im2...imk) be a cycle and let D = (i1i2...ir). Then, for mk [tex]\neq[/tex] r,

imk[tex]\stackrel{C^{-1}}{\rightarrow}[/tex]imk-1[tex]\stackrel{D}{\rightarrow}[/tex]imk-1+1[tex]\stackrel{C}{\rightarrow}[/tex]imk+1

Let D` = (C(i1)C(i2)...C(ir)), then imk[tex]\stackrel{}{D`\rightarrow}[/tex]imk+1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2
    I accidentally made two threads. Just ignore this one.

4. Dec 29, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, for example (P(i1)P(i2)...P(ir)) maps P(i1) to P(i2). You want to show P(i1,i2,...ir)P^(-1) does the same thing. Try it. Evaluate P(i1,i2,...ir)P^(-1)P(i1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook