Solve Permutation Group Homework: α o β o α-1

In summary, the problem involves calculating the composition of two permutation cycles and then finding the conjugate of the result using the given equations and definitions. A helpful way to approach this is to write out the cycles in two row notation and carefully interpret the cycle.
Questioneer

Homework Statement

This is a problem from a chapter entitled "Permutation Groups" of an abstract algebra text.
1. Let α = ( 1 3 5 7 ) and β = (2 4 8) o (1 3 6) ∈ S8 Find α o β o α-1.
2. Let α = ( 1 3) o (5 8) and β = (2 3 6 7) ∈ S8 Find α o β o α-1.

Homework Equations

Sn is the set of all permutations on In, where In={1,2,3,...,n}

Also, o is known to be associative, but not commutative.
α and β are conjugate if there exists γ ∈ Sn such that γ o α o γ-1 = β

Then, let π = (i1 i2 ... il) ∈ Sn be a cycle. Then for all α ∈ Sn, α o π o α-1 = (α(i1) α(i2) ... α(il))

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate other problems easy enough that did not contain the composition of permutation cycles. Also, I can write the composition as a two row notation instead of a cycle, but then I don't know which elements I use when I calculate the conjugate against alpha. If I left the beta as a composition, maybe I could use the associative property and apply one element first, but I'm at a loss.

A worked out solution would be really great- my professor assigned me 11 of these calculations, saying that they would be "really easy" so this many will not be a big deal. Thanks, prof.

Physics news on Phys.org
so for the first, note that a will commute with the first cycle of beta

you will also have to have a think about what the inverse of a given cylce is

a nice way to do these problems is as folllows, say you want to examine (23)o(12)which don't commute, but write it out as follows:
start = 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
(12) = 2-1-3-4-5-6-7-8
(23) = 2-3-1-4-5-6-7-8 = (123)

note be careful exactly how the cycle is interpreted as they can be written in different ways, I read (123) as 2 goes to 1, 3 goes to 2, and then 1 goes to 3

1. What is a permutation group?

A permutation group is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects and a set of operations that can be performed on those objects to rearrange them in different ways. In other words, it is a group of objects that can be permuted or rearranged.

2. What does α o β o α-1 mean in the context of permutation groups?

In permutation group notation, α o β o α-1 represents the composition of the permutations α and β, where α-1 is the inverse of α. This means that α and β are applied in order, followed by the inverse of α to undo any changes made by α.

3. How do you solve a permutation group homework problem?

To solve a permutation group homework problem, you need to first understand the given permutations and the operation being performed. Then, you can either apply the permutations manually or use a mathematical tool such as a permutation calculator to find the composition of the permutations.

4. What are some real-life applications of permutation groups?

Permutation groups have many applications in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and physics. Some real-life examples include cryptography, image and signal processing, and symmetry in nature.

5. Can you give an example of solving a permutation group homework problem?

Yes, for example, let's say we are given the permutations α = (1 2 3) and β = (2 4 1) and we are asked to find α o β o α-1. First, we apply α to β, which gives us (1 4 3). Then, we apply the inverse of α, which is simply (3 2 1). Therefore, the composition of the given permutations is (3 2 1).