1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation Groups

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem from a chapter entitled "Permutation Groups" of an abstract algebra text.
    1. Let α = ( 1 3 5 7 ) and β = (2 4 8) o (1 3 6) ∈ S8 Find α o β o α-1.
    2. Let α = ( 1 3) o (5 8) and β = (2 3 6 7) ∈ S8 Find α o β o α-1.

2. Relevant equations
    Sn is the set of all permutations on In, where In={1,2,3,...,n}

Also, o is known to be associative, but not commutative.
    α and β are conjugate if there exists γ ∈ Sn such that γ o α o γ-1 = β

Then, let π = (i1 i2 ... il) ∈ Sn be a cycle. Then for all α ∈ Sn, α o π o α-1 = (α(i1) α(i2) ... α(il))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to calculate other problems easy enough that did not contain the composition of permutation cycles. Also, I can write the composition as a two row notation instead of a cycle, but then I don't know which elements I use when I calculate the conjugate against alpha. If I left the beta as a composition, maybe I could use the associative property and apply one element first, but I'm at a loss.

A worked out solution would be really great- my professor assigned me 11 of these calculations, saying that they would be "really easy" so this many will not be a big deal. Thanks, prof.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so for the first, note that a will commute with the first cycle of beta

you will also have to have a think about what the inverse of a given cylce is

a nice way to do these problems is as folllows, say you want to examine (23)o(12)which don't commute, but write it out as follows:
    start = 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
    (12) = 2-1-3-4-5-6-7-8
    (23) = 2-3-1-4-5-6-7-8 = (123)

note be careful exactly how the cycle is interpreted as they can be written in different ways, I read (123) as 2 goes to 1, 3 goes to 2, and then 1 goes to 3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook