1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation Groups

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if G is any group of permutations, then the set of all even permutations in G forms a subgroup of G.

I am not sure where to start - I know there is a proposition that states this to be true, but I know that is not enough to prove this statement.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PhysicsUnderg! :smile:

Hint: if H is a subgroup of G, then for any a and b in H, the product ab must also be in H. :wink:

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3
    Is it really that simple? lol This is what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure how to connect the idea to permutations. Can I just say "a is an even permutation" and "b is an even permutation" thus "a*b is also an even permutation"? Because, if this is true and if I assume that a and b are elements of H, then ab is an element of H and is an even permutation, so G has a subgroup of even permutations. Also, for H to be a subgroup, the identity element must be contained in H, as well as an inverse. How do you connect this to permutations?

5. Jul 8, 2011 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PhysicsUnderg! :smile:
    Yes!! :biggrin:

Sometimes, maths really is that simple! :wink:
    You ask "Is the identity an even permutation? What is the inverse of an even permutation?" :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook