Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Permutation homework

1. Jan 9, 2008 #1
    This is problem 4 from section 2.3 of Fundamentals of Probability by Saeed Ghahramani.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Robert has eight guests, two of whom are Jim and John. If the guests will arrive in a random order, what is the probability that John will not arrive right after Jim?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

There are 8! ways for the guests to arrive. There are 7 ways for John to arrive right after Jim. The probability of John arriving right after Jim is then 7/8!, and the probability of John not arriving right after Jim is 1-7/8!=0.9998.

I am pretty sure it is right, but not 99.98% sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's wrong. There aren't 7 ways for John to arrive right after Jim. There are 7 times the number of ways for all of the other guests to arrive.

4. Jan 9, 2008 #3
    True. So,

1 - (7*6!)/8! = .875

5. Jan 9, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Much better. I'm 99.98% sure that's right.

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5
    Re: Permutation

There are only 7 ways for John to arrive right after Jim, apart from this detail being insufficient for the solution, or?

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you didn't read the rest of the thread? Please do it.

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what your question is. acme37 thought that of the 8! orders that the guests could arrive there were 7 in which John arrives right after Jim. That's wrong. The right answer is perfectly sufficient for a solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook