1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation operator

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1

cks

I can't really imagine how this was approached.

Let [tex] P_{\alpha0} [/tex] fixed

[tex] P_{a0}A=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha}=\frac{1}{N!}\epsilon_{\alpha0}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\beta}P_{\beta}=\epsilon_{\alpha0}A

[/tex]

I can understand that [tex] P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha} = P_{\beta} [/tex] is a new permutation operator.

[tex] P_{a0}A=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha}=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\beta} [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2
    can you tell me where you got this from or what is this about?

what i think happened was that

Ea = EB x Ea0 (sorry i dont know how to put in the greek words and the subscripts here)

so since Ea0 is a constant it was brought out of the equation, then the summation divided by the N! was equal to A.... and hence we get the answer

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

cks

Actually, P is the permutation operator that we frequently come across from a chapter of identical particles of any quantum textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?