Solve Permutation Problem: 6 Men and 2 Boys Arranged in a Row

In summary, the conversation discusses the ways to arrange six men and two boys in a row, with the conditions of the boys being together or not, and having at least three men separating them. The solutions are 10,080 for the boys being together, 30,240 for them not being together, and 14,400 for at least three men separating them. The equations used are P=N!/(n-r)! and N!/n1 x n2 x... x nk.
Lemm

Homework Statement

In How many ways can six men and two boys be arranged in a row if:
a. The two boys are together?
b. The two boys are not together?
c. There are at least three men separating the boys?

Homework Equations

P= N!
(n-r)!
Identical n objects.
N!
n1 x n2 x...x nk

The Attempt at a Solution

A.Answer: 2(7!) = 10,080
B.Answer: 8!-2(7!) = 30,240

For C i have so far, divided the total into 4 groups each boy is a separate one and 2 groups of 3 men... I set the boys as identical objects so they arent set in alternating pairs ( AB, BA would just be one) so i divide that by 2... and the 2 groups of 3 men can alternate withing each other so that's 3!^2

4! *3!*3!
2!

Im sure this is not the right way to go, and i think i have to find the total number the boys are separated for atleast 3, 4,5,6 men and add them all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did this way:

ans = N-n(0)-n(1)-n(2)

so, like for n(1):

there's a group of 3 person(two boys on the ends with one man)-consider this as a unit

so there are 6 units in total, and place that big unit in one place

6C1*2 (boys interchaged their pos)

and then 6! for men..

I was able to find the answer on the back of the book, A and B are correct and C is 14400
I just don't get how its done.. its just a matter of picturing it i guess

lol, I got the same!

yea, so try picturing this way:

draw 8 boxes, and circle the first 3 (for 2 boys, and 1 man in the middle)

and consider that circle as one box

and now, you have 5 boxes, and 1 circle.

first you can place the circle anywhere (among those 6 possible positions)

and then you can place 6 men by 6! thing... (I can't explain further than this lol)

Last edited:
rootX said:
ans = N-n(0)-n(1)-n(2)

so, like for n(1):

there's a group of 3 person(two boys on the ends with one man)-consider this as a unit

so there are 6 units in total, and place that big unit in one place

6C1*2 (boys interchaged their pos)

and then 6! for men..

Dont the boys have to be separated by atleast 3 men?... what's the N-n(0)-n(1)-n(2)
is it the different scenarios... separated by 3, 4, 5, 6, men?

Im just confused on C, i would appreciate a step by step working just to see how its done, and have it as a future reference, Thanks.

Last edited:
o_O N is all possible combinations
and n(0) is when there is no one between the two boys
n(1) = 1 person is between the boys

and in there, I was finding n(1)

yea i didnt see ur other ''circle'' post before i qouted, yea i get it now its just i was thinking the other way like finding the 3 4 5 6 insted of getting the first, thanks

The answer for C is indeed 14400

As the question says atleast 3 person should be between the two boys, thus it can be 3,4,5 or 6.

Consider 3:

So let's take the two boys with three men in between as one block. This block can be placed in four different ways among the remaining three men. The boys can be interchanged (i.e. arranged among themselves in 2 ways). Also, the 6 men can be arranged in 6!

Thus, we get 4*2*6!

If there are 4 men in between, similarly above equation would become 3*2*6!, for 5 men in between, 2*2*6! and for 6 men in between, 1*2*6!.

4*2*6!=5760
3*2*6!=4320
2*2*6!=2880
1*2*6!=1440

Since at a time, only one case is possible, i.e. there can be either 3,4,5 or 6 men in between the boys and they all cannot happen simultaneously, we sum the above values.

5760+4320+2880+1440=14400

Thats a pretty good answer.

Regards,
Sleek.

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order. In this problem, we are arranging 6 men and 2 boys in a row.

How many ways can 6 men and 2 boys be arranged in a row?

There are 8 objects to arrange in a row, so we can use the formula n!/(n-r)! to calculate the number of permutations. In this case, n is 8 and r is also 8, so the number of ways to arrange 6 men and 2 boys in a row is 8!/6! = 8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1 = 40,320 ways.

What is the difference between permutation and combination?

In a permutation, the order of the objects matters. In a combination, the order does not matter. For example, in this problem, arranging 6 men and 2 boys in a row is a permutation because the order matters. If we were to choose 6 men and 2 boys from a group of 8 people, it would be a combination because the order in which we choose them does not matter.

How can I solve this permutation problem efficiently?

One way to solve this problem efficiently is to use a factorial calculator or a calculator with a permutation function. Another way is to use a formula or algorithm to calculate the number of permutations, such as n!/(n-r)!, as mentioned in the second question.

Can this problem be solved using a computer program?

Yes, this problem can be solved using a computer program. Many programming languages have built-in functions or libraries for calculating permutations, making it a quick and efficient way to solve the problem.