1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation question

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that there are not permutations of order 18 in S_9.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    let t=c_1,...,c_k is cycle decomposition of such permutation. let r_1,...,r_k the orders of c_1,...,c_k.

then lcm(r_1,...,r_k) = 18 and r_1+...+r_k = 9.

What To Do Next ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is r_1+...+r_k=9? There is definitely something to be said about the r_i's, but this is not it!
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    because this is cycle decomposition and hence c_1 is r_1-cycle,..., c_k is r_k cycle.
  5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    well, here are my thoughts, but wait for morphism to confirm it.

Like you said, let

[tex]\alpha=\beta_1\beta_2.....\beta_k-----(@)[/tex] be such a permutation written as a product of k disjoint cycles. Let [tex] o(\beta_i)=r_i,i\in\{1,2,....,k\}[/tex] be the orders of those cycles respectively.

Then we know that the order of that permutation is the least common multiple of the lengths(orders) of the cycles, that is

[tex]lcm[r_1,r_2,....,r_k]=18[/tex] (in here we are using proof by contradiction, that is we are assuming that indeed there is such a permutation in S_9 whose order is 18)

But this is not possible, why?

In order for [tex]lcm[r_1,r_2,....,r_k]=18[/tex] to be true there must be cycles in (@) with orders 9 and 6. But, such a thing is not possible, because say:

[tex]\beta_1=(a_1a_2a_3a_4a_5a_6), and \beta_2=(b_1b_2.....b_9) [/tex] if

[tex]\beta=\beta_1\beta_2[/tex] there must be some [tex]a_i=b_j[/tex] for i=1,2...6 and j=1,2,...,9.

So, the contradiction derived, tells us that the assumption that [tex]lcm[r_1,r_2,....,r_k]=18[/tex] is not true.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?