1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations/combinations problem

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1

JL3

I have a problem about combinations and permutations I am trying to solve. Say we have an n-dimensional vector. Each element of the vector can contain any one of [tex]\lambda=3[/tex] values (-1, 0 or +1). Then the number of possible vectors is simply:

[tex]\lambda^n[/tex]

If we place the additional restriction that the vector must contain exactly [tex]k[/tex] non-zeros, then it becomes:

[tex]p=(\lambda-1)^{k}\times\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!(\lambda-1)^{k}}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

If we change the restriction so that it must contain at most [tex]k[/tex] non-zeros and at least 1 non-zero, then it becomes:

[tex]p=\sum_{k'=1}^{k}\left[(\lambda-1)^{k'}\times\binom{n}{k'}\right]=\sum_{k'=1}^{k}\frac{n!(\lambda-1)^{k'}}{k'!(n-k')!}[/tex]

Are my equations correct? Is there a more compact way of expressing this last equation, to get rid of the summation?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?