How to Use Permutations to Find Integers with Increasing Digits: 147 Example

In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve a question that involves finding the number of integers between 100 and 150 with three different digits in increasing order. The rules for solving the question were stated, and a solution using permutations was requested. One person solved it using an analytical method, while another person suggested using permutations and provided a step-by-step solution. In the end, the total number of possible integers was determined to be 18.
hms.tech
Just need to learn how to use permutations in this question

How many integers between 100 and 150 have three different digits in increasing order.
One such is 147.

I solved this using a long and unnecessary method.

Can anyone guide me in how to solve it using permutations.
I got 18 as my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 32 numbers, the tens digit can contain 4 values, 0,2,3,4. While the ones digit can contain 8 values.

Well I don't see how you can plug this into a permutation equation and get an answer, but you can easily work it out analytically.

Rules:
1. The digits must be in increasing order.
2. The second and third digit must be greater than 1.
3. The second digit must be greater than 1 but less than 5.
4. The third digit must be greater than the second.

So that only leaves us with 2, 3, and 4 for the second digit.

When the second digit is 2 you can have 9-2 = 7 numbers in that have digits that are increasing: 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29. When the second digit is 3 you can have 9-3 = 6 numbers: 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39. When the second digit is 4 you can have 9 - 4 = 5 numbers: 45, 46, 47, 48, 49. So in total you have 7 + 6 + 5 = 18 numbers. You are right.

12a or 13b or 14c
a>2 , b>3 , c>4
7 ways or 6 ways or 5 ways
18 ways.

1. What is the purpose of using permutations to find integers with increasing digits?

Using permutations allows us to systematically generate all possible combinations of a given set of numbers, in this case, the digits 1, 4, and 7. This helps us find all possible integers with increasing digits without having to manually list them out.

2. How do I know if I have found all possible integers with increasing digits using permutations?

To ensure you have found all possible integers with increasing digits, you can follow a few steps. First, make sure you have used all the given digits in your permutations. Then, check that each permutation is arranged in ascending order. Finally, eliminate any duplicate permutations. If you have completed all these steps, you should have a complete list of integers with increasing digits.

3. Can I use permutations to find integers with decreasing digits?

Yes, you can use permutations to find integers with decreasing digits. The process is similar to finding integers with increasing digits, except you would arrange the digits in descending order and eliminate any duplicate permutations.

4. Is there a limit to the number of digits I can use in permutations to find integers with increasing digits?

The number of digits you can use in permutations to find integers with increasing digits depends on the rules you set. For example, if you only allow the digits 1, 2, and 3, you will have a smaller range of integers compared to using all the digits from 0 to 9.

5. Can I apply this method to find integers with increasing digits in numbers other than 147?

Yes, you can apply this method to find integers with increasing digits in any set of numbers. Simply replace 147 with the digits you want to use and follow the same steps of using permutations to generate all possible combinations of those digits.