Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Permutations .How do u find the number of paths in a 3D object?

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    Permutations....
    How do u find the number of paths in a 3D object?...let say a cube...from A to B....

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

eax

I don't understand?

maby you want the distance from A to B in 3D? Its the same formula as in 2D just an extra variable
    squareroot(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

assuming B is relative to A and those are B's cooridinates to A.

Hope this helps!

4. May 4, 2005 #3
    gillgill,
    It doesnt matter whether the object is 3D or 2D. What does matter is how many nodes and how are their interconnections. You can draw a 3D cube in a 2D way and calculate the number of paths from A to B without affecting anything. (All u have to make sure that u are representing every edge of 3D object in 2D diagram)

-- AI

5. May 4, 2005 #4
    how do u know how to draw it in 2D?...and from which point to which point?

6. May 4, 2005 #5
    I'm also not sure where you're going with all of this. There's an infinite amount of paths between any two points in R^3, same thing with R^2. If you're talking about like, a lattice coordinate plane, this is different. A lattice coordinate plane only has "points" at integers, so it's actually feasible to count the number of paths between two points in a cube that is set in the lattice plane. If this is what you want (or if it isn't), please clarify.

7. May 4, 2005 #6
    ...*--------*
    ../|.......... /|
    ./.|........../.|
    *--------*..|
    |..|.........|..|
    |..*------|--*
    |./..........|./
    |/...........|/

Above i represent a cube in 2D (albeit in a very shabby way), but u would see that i have done 2D representation of the 3D cube and each node of the cube and each edge of the cube can be uniquely mapped to this figure.

-- AI

Last edited: May 4, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook