Solving for n in Permutation Equations

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary, the homework statements are: Homework Equations: If the fraction is 0, that means the numerator is 0. What values of n make the top equal to 0? andHomework Statement: If the fraction is 0, that means the numerator is 0. What values of n make the top equal to 0?
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Solve for n.

[tex](14)_{n}P_{3}=_{n+2}P_{4}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]_{n}P_{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I write the problem with the equations written out

[tex]\frac{14n!}{(n-3)!}=\frac{(n+2)!}{(n-2)!}[/tex]

I'm not quite sure how to isolate the n with all of the factorials going on.
If I subtract the RHS over to the left I get:

[tex]\frac{(n-2)!14n!-(n+2)!(n-3)!}{(n-2)!(n-3)!}[/tex]

Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the factorials out a bit and cancel terms. For example,

[tex]\frac{(n+2)!}{(n-1)!} = \frac{(n+2)(n+1)n(n-1)!}{(n-1)!} = (n+2)(n+1)n[/tex]

vela said:
Expand the factorials out a bit and cancel terms. For example,

[tex]\frac{(n+2)!}{(n-1)!} = \frac{(n+2)(n+1)n(n-1)!}{(n-1)!} = (n+2)(n+1)n[/tex]

Do you have (n-1)! in the denominator by accident? because it really comes out to be (n-2)!.

Ok, I see your method,

[tex]\frac{14(n-3)!(n-2)(n-1)(n)}{(n-3)!}=\frac{(n-2)!(n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2)}{(n-2)!}[/tex]

Some canceling and simplifying and you'll get

[tex]0=\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{14(n-1)}[/tex]

and that dosen't divide nicely at all. Am I doing something wrong?

themadhatter1 said:
Do you have (n-1)! in the denominator by accident? because it really comes out to be (n-2)!.
It was just an example; it had nothing to do with the problem.
[tex]0=\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{14(n-1)}[/tex]

and that doesn't divide nicely at all. Am I doing something wrong?
You don't need to divide. If the fraction is 0, that means the numerator is 0. What values of n make the top equal to 0?

Actually, the LHS shouldn't be 0. Check your work. I think your denominator is off too.

vela said:
It was just an example; it had nothing to do with the problem.

You don't need to divide. If the fraction is 0, that means the numerator is 0. What values of n make the top equal to 0?

Actually, the LHS shouldn't be 0. Check your work. I think your denominator is off too.

I originally had

[tex]14(n-2)(n-1)(n)=(n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2)[/tex]

then I divided both sides by (n-2)(n-2)(n) to cancel terms and set one side equal to zero so I can solve for n.

Your right about the denomonator though it should be (n-2)14

themadhatter1 said:
I originally had

[tex]14(n-2)(n-1)(n)=(n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2)[/tex]

then I divided both sides by (n-2)(n-2)(n) to cancel terms and set one side equal to zero so I can solve for n.

Your right about the denomonator though it should be (n-2)14
You can't just arbitrarily set one side equal to 0. If you just cancel the factors common to both sides, you get

[tex]14(n-2) = (n+1)(n+2)[/tex]

How would you solve that?

themadhatter1 said:
well I didn't just set a side equal to zero. I actually divided both sides of the equation by the same thing. Thats ok right?
Yes, as long as you're not dividing by 0. I added to my previous post, so you may want to look at it again.

Ahh Foil out and move to one side.

so you get

[tex]0=n^2-11n+30[/tex]
[tex]0=(n-5)(n-6)[/tex]

therefore n=5,6 and that's what the answer is supposed to be.

Thanks!

1. What is the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4 used for?

The equation (14)nP3=n+2P4 is used to solve for the value of n in a mathematical expression involving permutations. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to calculate the number of possible arrangements or combinations of a given set of objects.

2. How do you solve the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4?

To solve the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4, you can use algebraic techniques such as distribution, simplification, and factoring. First, distribute the exponent of n to both terms on the left side of the equation. Then, combine like terms and rearrange the equation to isolate the variable n on one side. Finally, use factoring or the quadratic formula to solve for n.

3. Can you provide an example of solving the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4?

Sure, let's say we have the following equation: (14)nP3 = n+2P4. We can start by distributing the exponent of n to both terms on the left side, giving us: (14)n!/(n-3)! = n+2P4. Next, we can simplify the left side to get: (14)(n)(n-1)(n-2) = n+2P4. Then, we can rearrange the equation to isolate n on one side: (14)(n^3 - 3n^2 + 2n) - n = 0. Finally, we can use factoring to solve for n, giving us the solutions n=0 and n=2.

4. What is the significance of the numbers 14, 3, and 4 in the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4?

The number 14 represents the total number of objects or elements in a set. The number 3 represents the number of objects or elements being chosen or arranged at a time. And the number 4 represents the number of objects or elements remaining after the first selection. These numbers are used in the equation to calculate the number of possible arrangements or combinations of the given set.

5. Can the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4 be solved without using algebra?

No, the equation (14)nP3=n+2P4 requires the use of algebraic techniques to solve for the variable n. It cannot be solved through simple arithmetic or without some form of manipulation of the equation. However, there are various online calculators and software programs that can solve this type of equation for you.