1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations ?

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lets say a car plate has 6 positions, three of them are numbers and 3 of them are alphabetic.
    e.g. ABC 123. I need to figure out how many possible permutations can occur using all the numbers and alphabets BUT i cannot use any number or alfabet twice in an permutation eg. AAB 123 or ABC 112 is forbidden.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first i split the problem, first the numbers then the alfabet:

NUMBERS:
    so N1 is the number of numbers i can use which is 10 obviously. 0-9
    K is the number of positions which is 3.

N1!/(N1-K)=10!/(10-3)!

ALFABET:
    so N2 is the number of alfabets which is 26, K is the number of positions 3.

N2!/(N2-K)!=26!/(26-3)!

The ANSWER:

(N1!/(N1-K))*(N2!/(N2-K)!) = (10!/(10-3)!)*(26!/(26-3)!)

is the answer correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is correct, assuming every car plate has to use 3 letters and 3 digits. You can calculate that number as a final result.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    thanks, does the answer exclude the permutations where the same number or digit happens in all three slots? e.g. AAA 123 or ABC 111 ?

5. Sep 6, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, what you have is $$3! \cdot{10 \choose 3} \times 3! \cdot {26 \choose 3}$$ which means, in the first term you select 3 distinct objects from the group of size 10. Each choice of three objects then has 6 possible rearrangements. Similar for the other term.

If you are allowed to use the same objects more than once, then clearly the number of possible permutations will increase.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted