Perovskites Basics: Finding Good Review Articles

• Thread starter rsr_life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics
In summary, if you're looking for a review of perovskite structures, you might want to check out the wikipedia article or a review by Imada in the Review of Modern Physics (circa 1998).
rsr_life
Hello,

Could you point out a good article(s) covering Perovskite crystal structures? There's plenty of literature out there covering perovskite structures, mostly properties or applications of individual crystals. Googling results are either very specific or too general or complete textbooks.

If you've worked on perovskites before, or are familiar with it, is there a good review article covering the basics and why these structures are so popular and the subject of so much research?

I'm doing an Electrical engineering graduate class review of perovskites, focusing on the transverse optical modes and would like to cover a few well cited /classic papers to give everyone a background on these crystals in general, and suggest materials for further reading if students are interested.

I'm at a University, so I do have access to published papers. My usual process of tracking down the more popular papers through references seem to have taken me nowhere so far.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you look at the wikipedia article, it talks about a number of interesting functional properties that perovskites can display. It also talks about how the size requirements for stability of the cubic structure are stringent. I only know a limited amount about the specific case of tetragonal perovskite ferroelectrics. But it seems like those stability requirements are probably related to all (or most of)these functional properties you can observe. So I would suggest picking a few of those and seeing how the perovskite structure influences that particular property.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but a lot of the transition metal oxides have a perovskite (either perfect but could be severely distorted) structure. Transition metal oxides are interesting today but many exotic properties such as high-Tc superconductivity, CMR (colossal magnetoresistance), ferroelectricity, etc. are exhibited by these materials.

There's a good review by Imada in the Review of Modern Physics (circa 1998) entitled "Metal-insulator transition", i.e. google "metal-insulator transition imada" and it's the first link.

You mentioned optical transverse modes so I'm assuming that these are phonon modes. So maybe include "phonon modes transition metal oxides" in a search as well.

Hope this helps!

1. What is a perovskite?

A perovskite is a crystalline material with a specific structure that follows the chemical formula ABX3. It is named after Russian mineralogist Lev Perovski.

2. What makes perovskites important in scientific research?

Perovskites have a wide range of potential applications in fields such as solar cells, fuel cells, and electronic devices. They also have unique properties, such as high conductivity and tunable band gaps, that make them attractive for use in these technologies.

3. How can I find good review articles about perovskites?

There are several ways to find good review articles about perovskites. One way is to search for them on academic databases, such as Scopus or Web of Science. Another way is to look for recent publications in reputable scientific journals, such as Nature or Science. You can also ask colleagues or experts in the field for recommendations.

4. What should I look for in a good review article about perovskites?

A good review article should provide a comprehensive overview of the current state of research on perovskites, including recent advances and challenges in the field. It should also be well-referenced and include a critical analysis of the literature. Additionally, the article should be written by experts in the field and published in a reputable journal.

5. Are there any open-access review articles about perovskites?

Yes, there are several open-access review articles about perovskites available online. Some examples include "Perovskite Solar Cells: From Materials to Devices" by Nam-Gyu Park and "Perovskites: Structure-Property Relationships and Opportunities for Tailoring" by David B. Mitzi. These articles can be found on academic databases or by searching for them on Google Scholar.