Find Intersection of Perpendicular Lines: Solve L1 & L2

In summary, to find the point of intersection (a, b, c) between a line L1 passing through (2, 1, 2) and perpendicular to another line L2 given by L2(t) = (1 + t, 2 + t, 3 - t) and the plane perpendicular to L2 and containing (2, 1, 2), we can use the dot product and set it equal to 0. This gives us the normal vector <1, 1, -1> for the perpendicular plane. Plugging in the values for L2 in the equation for the plane, (x- 2)+ (y- 1)- (z- 2)= 0,
Stang70Fastba

Homework Statement

Suppose that a straight line L1 passes through the point (2, 1, 2), and is perpendicular to another line which is given by L2(t) = (1 + t, 2 + t, 3 - t); -inf < t < inf

Suppose that L1 and L2 intersects at a point (a, b, c): Find (a, b, c):

Homework Equations

Dot product (which equals 0 for perpendicular lines)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried quite a few solutions but I get the feeling I'm making this WAY more complicated than is necessary. The trouble is my teacher explained some method of getting a plane out of the given line and then using the plane's normal vector to find L2 and then determining the intersection, but I can't for the life of me figure out what he did. At this point I'm not even sure where to start. I attempted to do some projection of vectors from a point on the given line to the point that L1 passes through. However I get stuck after that point at figuring out what to do. I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that L2 is (1 + t, 2 + t, 3 - t). Any plane perpendicular to that has normal vector <1, 1, -1>, the "direction vector" of L2. Do you see that (a, b, c) is the point where L2 intersects the plane perpendicular to L2 and containing (2, 1, 2)?

That plane is (x- 2)+ (y- 1)- (z- 2)= 0. Set x= 1+ t, y= 2+ t, z= 3- t in that and solve for t.

I understand what you say about the plane. So what you gave me was the equation of the plane, and what I'm doing is plugging in the L2 equation and solving for it = 0? In that case, I get t = 1/3, which gives me a point (4/3, 7/3, 8,3). Is this correct?

I appreciate the help. I'm always slow with this stuff and then one day it clicks. Could you quickly explain how you got the equation for the plane?

What is the definition of perpendicular lines?

Perpendicular lines are two lines that intersect at a 90-degree angle. This means that the two lines form a right angle where they meet.

How can you determine if two lines are perpendicular?

To determine if two lines are perpendicular, you can calculate the slope of each line. If the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, then the lines are perpendicular. Another way is to check if the product of the slopes is -1.

What is the equation to find the intersection point of two perpendicular lines?

The equation to find the intersection point of two perpendicular lines is (x,y), where x is the point where the two lines intersect and y is the value of the intersecting point on the y-axis. This point can be calculated by solving the system of equations formed by the two lines.

How many solutions are there for the intersection point of two perpendicular lines?

There is only one solution for the intersection point of two perpendicular lines. This is because perpendicular lines intersect at only one point.

Can two parallel lines be perpendicular to each other?

No, two parallel lines cannot be perpendicular to each other. This is because parallel lines never intersect, and perpendicular lines must intersect at a 90-degree angle.