Solve Perpendicular Lines: A(1,2), B(4,0), C(k,2), D(1,-3)

In summary, we need to determine a constant real number k such that the lines AB and CD are perpendicular, with points A(1,2), B(4,0), C(k,2), and D(1,-3). The answer given is k=-3/2. However, using the formula for finding perpendicular lines, we get a different answer of k=13/3. This could be due to an error in the textbook.
bacon
Determine a constant real number k such that the lines AB and CD are perpendicular.
A(1,2), B(4,0), C(k,2), D(1,-3). (answer given is k=-3/2)

If two lines are perpendicular the product of their slopes is -1.

The slope of AB is [tex]\frac{0-2}{4-1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-2}{3}[/tex]

The slope of CD is [tex]\frac{-3-2}{1-k}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-5}{1-k}[/tex]
I set the product of these slopes equal to -1 and solve for k.

[tex]\frac{-2}{3}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{-5}{1-k}[/tex]=-1
10=3(k-1)
10=3k-3
13=3k
13/3=k
This is not the answer given and I am not seeing my error. Any help would be appreciated.
Latex question. The = sign and x symbol don't line up well with the rest of the equations in the first half of my post. How can I correct that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your k value is correct ...

[tex]\frac{0-2}{4-1}=\frac{-2}{3}[/tex]

Check my LaTeX ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Verified using an alternate method (direction cosines and perpendicularity) to confirm that your answer is correct.

You are 100% correct, reporting the textbook error might be helpful for the rest using the same book...

1. What are perpendicular lines?

Perpendicular lines are two lines that intersect at a 90 degree angle. In other words, they form an L-shape when they meet.

2. How do you solve for the value of k?

To solve for the value of k, we can use the slope formula (m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) to find the slopes of the two given lines (AB and CD). Perpendicular lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other. Set the two slopes equal to each other and solve for k.

3. Can you find the equation of the line that passes through points A and C?

Yes, we can find the equation of the line that passes through points A and C by first finding the slope using the formula (m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) and then using the point-slope form (y-y1 = m(x-x1)) to plug in the slope and one of the given points (A or C).

4. How can you determine if two lines are perpendicular using their equations?

To determine if two lines are perpendicular using their equations, we can look at their slopes. If the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, then the lines are perpendicular. We can also use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the lengths of the sides of a right triangle formed by the two lines, and if one of the sides is the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the lines are perpendicular.

5. Are there any real-life applications of perpendicular lines?

Yes, perpendicular lines have many real-life applications, such as in construction where perpendicular lines are used to create right angles and ensure stability of structures. They are also used in navigation and map-making, as well as in computer graphics to create 3D shapes and objects.