Finding Perpendicular Planes to a Given Plane

In summary: General approach:Equation of plane ax+by+cz+d=0, where at least one of (a,b,c) is not =0.Assume it is a, then bx-ay+m=0 or cx-az+n=0, where m and n are arbitrary. The general idea is to set up a nonzero vector perpendicular to (a,b,c) and use it as coefficients for x,y,z. The constant term is arbitrary.The plane equations in the previous post just simply reflect the fact that (b,-a,0) and (c,0,-a) are both non-zero and perpendicular to (a,
amcavoy
Hi,

I suppose my question has to do with planes in general, rather than just tangent planes. Say you have a plane given by the equation

[tex]z=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y).[/tex]

How would you find the equation of the plane perpendicular to this one?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
General approach:

Equation of plane ax+by+cz+d=0, where at least one of (a,b,c) is not =0.
Assume it is a, then bx-ay+m=0 or cx-az+n=0, where m and n are arbitrary. The general idea is to set up a nonzero vector perpendicular to (a,b,c) and use it as coefficients for x,y,z. The constant term is arbitrary.

mathman said:
General approach:

Equation of plane ax+by+cz+d=0, where at least one of (a,b,c) is not =0.
Assume it is a, then bx-ay+m=0 or cx-az+n=0, where m and n are arbitrary. The general idea is to set up a nonzero vector perpendicular to (a,b,c) and use it as coefficients for x,y,z. The constant term is arbitrary.

Where did the [tex]bx-ay+m=0[/tex] and [tex]cx-az+n=0[/tex] come from?

Well, I guess I can understand that. If you have one vector on a plane "r-r0 = (x-x0)i + (y-y0)j + (z-z0)k" and the gradient vector "ai + bj +ck" tangent to f(x,y), would you compute the cross product between these two vectors to find that perpendicular vector, then use that as coefficients?

(ex.) <(x-x0), (y-y0), (z-z0)> x <a, b, c> = <p, q, t>

ax+by+cz=d

So... the tangent plane is px+qy+cz=d.

Is this correct?

I tried to give an answer for planes in general. I am a little rusty on your special case (tangent planes).
The plane equations in the previous post just simply reflect the fact that (b,-a,0) and (c,0,-a) are both non-zero and perpendicular to (a,b,c) as long as a is not 0.

Alright that makes sense then. By which method did you compute that (b, -a, 0) and (c, 0, -a) are perpendicular to (a, b, c)?

The reason I ask is that I have the equation [tex]z=\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}(x)+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}(y)[/tex] and need to find the perpendicular plane (the problem actually has to do with projections).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
which method did you compute that (b, -a, 0) and (c, 0, -a) are perpendicular to (a, b, c)?
Inspection!

In your case a=dg/dx, b=dg/dy, c=-1. Since c not=0, you can use (1,0,dg/dx) or
(0,1,dg/dy) or any linear combination of the two vectors.

Alright I understand now. Thanks a lot for your help.

1. How do you define a perpendicular plane to a given plane?

To define a perpendicular plane to a given plane, we need to find a line that is perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to the given plane. This line will then be used to define the perpendicular plane.

2. What is the process for finding a perpendicular plane to a given plane?

The process for finding a perpendicular plane to a given plane involves finding a line that is perpendicular to the given plane, and then using this line to define the perpendicular plane. This can be done by finding the normal vector of the given plane and using it to find a point on the perpendicular line, which can then be used to define the perpendicular plane.

3. Can you explain the concept of normal vectors in relation to finding perpendicular planes?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given plane. This means that it is at a 90 degree angle to every point on the plane. Normal vectors are essential in finding perpendicular planes because they can be used to define the direction of the perpendicular line that is needed to create the perpendicular plane.

4. Are there any specific equations or formulas that can be used to find perpendicular planes?

Yes, there are specific equations and formulas that can be used to find perpendicular planes. One method is to use the dot product between the normal vector of the given plane and a vector perpendicular to it. Another method is to use the cross product between two vectors that lie on the given plane.

5. Can perpendicular planes intersect?

Yes, perpendicular planes can intersect. This can happen when the given plane is not parallel to the x, y, or z-axis. In this case, the perpendicular plane will intersect the given plane at a specific point, creating a line of intersection. However, if the given plane is parallel to one of the axes, the perpendicular plane will not intersect it.