Perpendicular position vector and velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a situation where the velocity of a particle is always perpendicular to its position vector. Examples such as a satellite orbiting a planet or an electron in a uniform magnetic field are given, and it is explained that in uniform circular motion, the velocity and position vectors are perpendicular. It is also suggested to consider the particle's rest frame where the velocity vector would be perpendicular to the position vector.
quiksilver
I have been struggling with this question for a little while now and after drawing pictures and such I just cannot think of a situation in which this is possible. I was wondering if somebody with a little bit more physics knowledge could enlighten me :rolleyes: ? Here it is:

"Describe a situation in which the velocity of a particle is always perpendicular to the particle's position vector."

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a satellite moving in a circular orbit around a planet? Or an electron moving in a uniform magnetic field?

In uniform cirucular motion, the velocity vector is tangent to the circle at each point. The position vector is a vector from the origin to the point corresponding to its position... thus if your circle has its center at the origin, then this would be an example of what you described.

Tangent is perpendicular to a point on a circle...a real life example like a satellite orbiting a planet.

My problem is that I haven't learned about this yet, this is a pre-class question...so I was not thinking in circular motion I was stuck in linear thought so all of my situations weren't coming out right...thanks for the help

Go into the particle's rest frame, and position it wherever you'd like there.
Since the velocity is the zero vector, the velocity vector is perpendicular to the position vector..:wink:

1. What is a perpendicular position vector?

A perpendicular position vector is a vector that is perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to the surface or plane on which it is located. It is often used in physics and mathematics to describe the position of an object in space.

2. How is a perpendicular position vector calculated?

A perpendicular position vector can be calculated by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie on the plane or surface, and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of a perpendicular position vector in physics?

In physics, a perpendicular position vector is important because it can be used to describe the position and orientation of an object in 3-dimensional space. It is also used in calculations involving forces and motion, such as calculating torque or angular velocity.

4. How does a perpendicular position vector relate to velocity?

A perpendicular position vector and velocity are related through the concept of angular velocity. The direction of the velocity vector is always perpendicular to the position vector, and the magnitude of the velocity is equal to the magnitude of the position vector multiplied by the angular velocity.

5. Can a perpendicular position vector change over time?

Yes, a perpendicular position vector can change over time if the object it is describing is moving or rotating. As the position of the object changes, the position vector will also change accordingly.