1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular Projectile

Tags:
  1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is launched at height h with velocity v with 0 degrees angle with respect to the ground from the bottom of an inclined plane with an angle of theta.Determine the particle's velocity so that it strikes the inclined plane perpendiculary.

2. Relevant equations
    y=Vo*t+1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Could anyone help me to check m work and my concepts ?
    First ,I did it by changing the x coordinates to the distance along the inclined plane,then the y coordinates are perpendicular to the inclined plane.
    So,my question is ,when it strikes the plane perpendicularly,will it have 0 Vx ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the x-axis is along the plane, then, yes, the x-component of velocity must be zero for the projectile to strike the plane perpendicularly.
    In the proposed scheme, you realize that gravity will point at an angle to the y axis?

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes, the x-component of the projectile's velocity will be zero when it crashes perpendicular into the plane.
    What should the angle of its velocity then be in the "normal\usual" x-y coordintate system? :wink:

5. Jun 7, 2016 #4
    @SimonBridge Yes i solved the problem by setting Vx in the changed coordinates to 0,and also have g equal g cos theta in y direction,and g sin theta in x direction.@andrevdh So if it is in normal coordinates then it will have Vx /Vy =tan theta (probably ?).I havent tried to use normal coordinates yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted