1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular Subspace of R^n

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2yxjgpt.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

The terminology in this question confuses me into what I am actually trying to solve. It seems to me that S-perp would naturally be a subspace of real column vectors based on the fact that we specify that S[tex]\neq[/tex]0. It goes on to mention that S-perp is nonempty which seems obvious in the fact that S is not empty and it asks to show that any scalar multiples of vectors within the subset of S-perp will continue to be elements of S-perp.

So i've reached the thought that either
    1) This question is ridiculously simply that intends for me to re-state the obvious or
    2) I've missed something completely and it actually requires a long proof. Any insights?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's an example that might give you some insight. Consider R2, and S = {(x, y) | y = 0}. Sperp = {(x, y) | x = 0}. Each element of Sperp in this example is orthogonal to each element of S, and further, it can be shown that Sperp of this example is a subspace of R2.

Your problem is similar. You need to show that your Sperp is a subspace of Rn, which means you need to show the following:
    1. Sperp contains the 0 vector.
    2. If u and v are in Sperp, then u + v is also in Sperp.
    3. If u is in Sperp and c is a scalar, then cu is in Sperp.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your assistance. I believe I have constructed a response that is adequate by proving the vectors x,u,v to be elements of S-perp by continually showing that the dot product of the vectors with y (being an element of S) to equal 0 showing orthogonality showing them to be an element of S-perp.

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not going to cut it. All you have shown (based on your description) is that the vectors x, u, and v are in Sperp; you haven't shown that Sperp is a subspace of Rn. To do that, you need to show the three things I listed in my previous post.

6. Oct 7, 2009 #5

Landau

Science Advisor

Shambles, do you know what a subspace is, or more precisely, how it is defined? That seems to be the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook