Perpetual Integration: Solving Complex Calculus Problems | Physics Forums

In summary, perpetual integration is a method used to solve complex calculus problems in mathematics and physics. It involves continuously integrating a function over a specified interval, using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. This approach allows for the calculation of indefinite integrals, which can be used to find the area under a curve and solve various physical problems. Perpetual integration is a powerful tool for solving complex mathematical and scientific equations, and it is essential for understanding many fundamental concepts in physics.
lemon
1. somebody please help me:
I have to integrate the following:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24485&d=1268939055

as you can see I have an answer - this is such a long problem - it's like an integration of an integration of an...
and the final answer gives a math error in the calculator.

I also get a value out of calculator of -7.169337845

thank for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unsure of what the problem is. What are you trying to integrate? I see "I have to integrate the following:" and nothing following.

you can't see the problem on the image?

lemon said:
you can't see the problem on the image?

No. I used the quote button on your original post and it looks like you are trying to post an image just by putting image tags around an http address for an attachment. I don't think that works even if the http address links to an image in jpeg form. To make things worse, it looks like the attachment http address is invalid.

Try uploading your image to a free image hosting site like imageshack.us and then just posting the forum hotlink url that they give you.

Either that or take the time to type out your problem statement and the key lines in your attempt like everybody else does.

I'll ask you to leave your sarcasm for another arena please.
This was typed out properly in mathType.

I wasn't being sarcastic. This forum supports [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] and it is often quicker for you to type it out here than to type it up in a separate document and then post it as an attachment or upload it to an image hosting site.

sorry - it's been a long week. I will look into it:bugeye:

[itex]

\[
\begin{array}{l}
\int_0^3 {2x^3 e^{ - x} dx} \\
= \frac{{13\left( { - 12 - e^3 } \right)}}{{e^3 }} \\
\end{array}
\]

[/itex]

tricky

there are two different types of tags you can use...the ones I used were "itex" which is short for inline LaTeX and is only good for short expression that you want to appear inline with the rest of your text. For larger expressions, just use "tex" tags.

[tex]\begin{aligned}\int_0^3 2x^3 e^{ - x} dx & = \left.-6x^2e^{-x}\right|_0^3 +\int_0^3 6x^2 e^{ - x} dx\\ & = \left.-6x^2e^{-x}\right|_0^3+ \left.12xe^{-x}\right|_0^3 + \int_0^3 12x e^{ - x} dx \\ & = \frac{{13\left( { - 12 - e^3 } \right)}}{e^3}\end{aligned}[/tex]

Were you trying to post something like this? You can click on the image to see the code that generated it (or quote my post to see it without all kinds of extra spaces and line-breaks).

thank you gabbagabbahey
I will take a look at it over the weekend.

Is that the correct finished solution you posted above?

lemon said:
Is that the correct finished solution you posted above?

No.

Is that the problem you are trying to calculate?

yes
it is the problem
but it went on and on and...

It shouldn't go too long. Just use integration by parts (IBP) 3 times.

Why not show me your first iteration of IBP...

i have attached a .pdf file of my written workings
hope you can read my scribbles

Attachments

• int.1018.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 125
it is all part of this attached .pdf file.
I have succeeded to complete part one of the question.

Attachments

• questionimage019.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 130
Changed your [ itex] tags, and got rid or your array stuff.
lemon said:
[tex] \int_0^3 {2x^3 e^{ - x} dx} \\
= \frac{{13\left( { - 12 - e^3 } \right)}}{{e^3 }} [/tex]

lemon said:
i have attached a .pdf file of my written workings
hope you can read my scribbles

It looks like you've done all the individual iterations of IPB properly (although you've neglected to write the integration limits in at each step).

You're problem is with the arithmetic after you substitute in your limits of integration:

[tex]\begin{aligned}\int_0^3 2x^3 e^{ - x} dx & = \left.-2x^3e^{-x}\right|_0^3- \left.6x^2e^{-x}\right|_0^3 - \left.12xe^{-x}\right|_0^3-\left.12e^{-x}\right|_0^3 \\ & = \left.-2e^{-x}\left(x^3+3x^2+6x+6\right)\right|_0^3 \\ & = -2e^{-3}\left(27+27+18+6\right)+2e^{0}\left(0+0+0+6\right) \\ & \neq \frac{{13\left( { - 12 - e^3 } \right)}}{e^3}\end{aligned}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
It looks like you've done all the individual iterations of IPB properly

IPB - integration py barts?:smile:

Mark44 said:
IPB - integration py Barts?:smile:

My calculus teacher's name was Ms. Edna Krabappel o:)

so the answer is 4.233217335?

lemon said:
so the answer is 4.233217335?

That's the approximate numerical value of the answer, yes. The exact answer involves [itex]e^3[/itex].

cool.. Thank you

1. What is perpetual integration?

Perpetual integration is a mathematical technique used to solve complex calculus problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It involves finding the antiderivatives of functions and using them to evaluate definite integrals.

2. How is perpetual integration different from regular integration?

Perpetual integration is a specific method of integration that involves using antiderivatives, while regular integration involves finding the area under a curve. Perpetual integration is often used to solve more complicated problems that cannot be solved using regular integration methods.

3. What types of problems can be solved using perpetual integration?

Perpetual integration can be used to solve a wide range of calculus problems, including finding the area under a curve, determining the volume of a solid, and calculating the work done by a force.

4. What are some common techniques used in perpetual integration?

Some common techniques used in perpetual integration include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques help simplify the problem and make it easier to find the antiderivative.

5. How can I improve my skills in perpetual integration?

To improve your skills in perpetual integration, it is important to practice solving various types of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or consult resources such as textbooks and online tutorials. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic calculus principles and techniques.