Perpetual Motion Idea: Is It Possible?

In summary, Joe, peripetual motion is not possible with a ball rolling down a spiral track or tube, gaining speed, and then ascending back up to the start of the spiral track. Static electric energy cannot develop if certain materials are used, and therefore this idea is not plausible.
jrm415
TL;DR Summary
Is perpetual motion possible with a ball rolling down a spiral track or tube, gaining speed, and then ascending back up to the start of the spiral track. If so, does static electric energy develop if certain materials are used, and can this energy be harnessed?
Hi all,Minimal math/physics background here, so bare with me. Imagine a smooth track or tube that tightly spirals downwards into smaller and smaller circles. Now imagine if a ball rolls down that spiral, gaining speed. At the bottom/end of the spiral the track/tube goes underneath the spiral and bends upwards ending back at the top. The ball then, with the momentum from the descent, would then be able to go up the ramp, reach the top and reenter the downward spiral, and continue this cycle perpetually. Is this possible? Correct?

I am interested, because if so we should be able to fill this structure with dozens/hundreds of balls, so there is just enough space between them so as to not impede their movement. Then, with all this perpetual motion, if using the right materials, a sort of static electricity (or other energy) could build and maybe be harnessed?

Possible? Or am I completely ignorant on some obvious principles of physics here.

thanks!
Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
This wouldn't be possible with friction on the ramp surface, that's all I'm certain about.

Maybe this could be modeled with a frictionless surface however.

jrm415 said:
Summary:: Is perpetual motion possible with a ball rolling down a spiral track or tube, gaining speed, and then ascending back up to the start of the spiral track. If so, does static electric energy develop if certain materials are used, and can this energy be harnessed?

Hi all,Minimal math/physics background here, so bare with me. Imagine a smooth track or tube that tightly spirals downwards into smaller and smaller circles. Now imagine if a ball rolls down that spiral, gaining speed. At the bottom/end of the spiral the track/tube goes underneath the spiral and bends upwards ending back at the top. The ball then, with the momentum from the descent, would then be able to go up the ramp, reach the top and reenter the downward spiral, and continue this cycle perpetually. Is this possible? Correct?

I am interested, because if so we should be able to fill this structure with dozens/hundreds of balls, so there is just enough space between them so as to not impede their movement. Then, with all this perpetual motion, if using the right materials, a sort of static electricity (or other energy) could build and maybe be harnessed?

Possible? Or am I completely ignorant on some obvious principles of physics here.

thanks!
Joe
Welcome to the PF, Joe. :smile:

We don't allow discussions about PMMs here. That is one of the Forbidden Topics listed in the PF Rules (see INFO at the top of the page). Follow the links in the quoted part of the rules below to read more about why PMMs are not possible. Thanks.

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):
Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the idea of a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without the need for any external energy source. It would essentially create energy out of nothing, which goes against the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Is perpetual motion possible?

No, perpetual motion is not possible. The first and second laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, a machine that creates energy out of nothing would violate these laws.

3. Have there been any successful attempts at creating perpetual motion machines?

No, there have been many attempts throughout history to create perpetual motion machines, but none have been successful. All attempts have either failed or been proven to be fraudulent.

4. Why do people still pursue the idea of perpetual motion?

Some people are drawn to the idea of creating a machine that can provide infinite energy, as it would have numerous practical applications. However, the laws of thermodynamics make it clear that perpetual motion is not possible.

5. Are there any potential consequences of pursuing perpetual motion?

Yes, there are potential consequences of pursuing perpetual motion. It can lead to wasted time, resources, and funding that could be used for more productive scientific research. It can also perpetuate false information and misconceptions about the laws of thermodynamics.