Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpetual Motion - Just a simple question

1. Nov 5, 2004 #1
    Having recently been exposed to some "free energy machine" thought got me thinking again about perpetual motion. For the heck of it I decided to throw my hat into the hopless race and design what I thought would be a good perpetual motion machine, if anything just to prove to myself in the physical, rather than theoretical, world that this was, inf fact, impossible.

I decided to work with some simple concepts including magnetism, elastics, and dynamics. I soon realized exactly why this machine wouldn't work and thus posed a question. Since I haven't heard of, or read about, any similar machines, though they may exist and this question may have already been answered long ago, I would like to know:

Will every semi-dynamic magnetic system (i.e. magnets can move but are attached to parts with limited movement) eventually come to an equilibrium of sorts in which no one magnet attracts or repels another to an extent that might cause any of the magnets to accelerate in any specific direction?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted