Perpetual motion machine

• Thread starter Trilairian
  • Start date
russ_watters said:
That's the operating principle behind http://www.mmmetals.com/pages/heat_pipe_heat_sinks/heat_pipe_heat_sink.htm" heat exchangers, btw.
That's cool, russ. I wasnt aware of that system.
The function of the thing Extreme_Machinations mentioned is not heat exchange, though, but to actually produce torque. I ran across it in a very old issue of Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science, maybe 1960's, and actually went to the library and looked up the patent for a detailed explanation of how it worked. It was a really interesting devise, to me, but probably never went anywhere since it hardly produces any power for its size.
I think you could configure your heat pipe to tilt up and down like a seesaw and take the same amount of power off it.

Last edited by a moderator:
sid_galt said:
As far as I know, you can't get a magnetic monopole. Scientists are still searching for one though because if it exists, it would explain the quantization of charge.
I can't understand anyone looking for a magnetic monopole. Once you see how the dipole is created it seems completely obvious there's no monopole possible.

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
zoobyshoe said:
I can't understand anyone looking for a magnetic monopole. Once you see how the dipole is created it seems completely obvious there's no monopole possible.
Magnetic monopoles are predicted by a few theories, including all Grand Unified Theories (GUT theories).

See for instance

http://budoe.bu.edu/~corth/monopole_faq.html [Broken]

which doesn't appear to be any sort of "official" faq, but is fairly well written IMO.

pervect said:
Magnetic monopoles are predicted by a few theories, including all Grand Unified Theories (GUT theories).
See for instance
http://budoe.bu.edu/~corth/monopole_faq.html [Broken]
which doesn't appear to be any sort of "official" faq, but is fairly well written IMO.
Yes, but we see it says:
How much of my tax dollars are going into this joke?
People often wonder ask what good pure research is doing them. It's often hard to come up with a convincing answer. The bottom line is that all science, even wacky sounding science like looking for magnetic monopoles, can have far reaching affects in the future. Quantum Mechanics doesn't have a lot to do with daily life either, but computers wouldn't work without someone having understood something about it.
When you understand the magnetic field around a current carrying conductor to be, sort of, pointing around in a circle at right angles to the current flow, it seems absurd to suppose that this force could be "halved" somehow, any more than you could "halve" anything that is going in circles. Just imagine half of this guy::rofl:

The only real perpetual motion is the motions these folk perpetually go through to try and prove that there is perpetual motion.