Perpetual Motion within an atom?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpetual motion within an atom and its relation to the laws of conservation of energy and thermodynamics. It also touches on the Bohr model and the role of electrons in orbitals. The conversation includes various opinions and explanations from multiple participants, ultimately leading to the conclusion that while perpetual motion may exist in theory, it cannot be harnessed practically due to the limitations of thermodynamics.
d3jake
[SOLVED] Perpetual Motion within an atom?

I have something to add to this. Since I don't quite understand what the guy above said I'm sorry if I repeat a question of his.
If electrons are goin' around an atom with a balance of kinetic and Potential energy, and they've been spinning since the dawn of time, doesn't that entail perpetual motion? I doubt thay've slowed down any since ther is nothing for them to friction against like in our everyday lives.
I've even asked my physics teacher and he didn't know. (I'm in High School) Then again this is a bit out of his scope I think...

Physics news on Phys.org
d3jake said:

I've even asked my physics teacher and he didn't know. (I'm in High School) Then again this is a bit out of his scope I think...

Really ?

First of all, atoms (like we know then 'today') have not existed from the very first moments of the big bang because there was too much thermal energy to actually form atoms.

Secondly, electrons do NOT orbit the nucleus in circles. That is the Bohr-model which is a very rude approximation/simplification of reality, yet it does a very good job at describing the most abundant atoms that we know : the H-atom. Besides, QM teaches us that we have a certain probability to find electrons in the orbitals. For example the s-orbital has spherical symmetry which implies that the electron really is everywhere around the atomic nucleus, prior to any measurement.

Thirdly, electrons have an intrinsic quantum number called spin, but that does not imply that they actually orbit their axis, because they do NOT.

Finally, for atoms to 'arise' their must be some energy available. One of the most famous laws is physics is conservation of total energy. This means that in processes the total energy must be the same when you compare the initial and the final state.

marlon

d3jake said:
I have something to add to this. Since I don't quite understand what the guy above said I'm sorry if I repeat a question of his.
If electrons are goin' around an atom with a balance of kinetic and Potential energy, and they've been spinning since the dawn of time, doesn't that entail perpetual motion? I doubt thay've slowed down any since ther is nothing for them to friction against like in our everyday lives.

Good question.

There is also a saying that an object, once in motion, remains in motion. There is nothing inherently wrong with perpetual motion in that sense anyway. The second law of thermodynamics - the one that says you cannot construct a perpetual motion machine (PMM) - covers the critical detail of this: you cannot extract work from a PMM.

So in your analogy, you cannot extract energy from an atom while leaving it in its original state.

marlon said:
First of all, atoms (like we know then 'today') have not existed from the very first moments of the big bang because there was too much thermal energy to actually form atoms.

Secondly, electrons do NOT orbit the nucleus in circles.
No friggin' duh! I'm not that stupid.

That is the Bohr-model which is a very rude approximation/simplification of reality, yet it does a very good job at describing the most abundant atoms that we know : the H-atom. Besides, QM teaches us that we have a certain probability to find electrons in the orbitals. For example the s-orbital has spherical symmetry which implies that the electron really is everywhere around the atomic nucleus, prior to any measurement.

Thirdly, electrons have an intrinsic quantum number called spin, but that does not imply that they actually orbit their axis, because they do NOT.
:bugeye: :confused: Would Sombody like to explain that to me?

Finally, for atoms to 'arise' their must be some energy available. One of the most famous laws is physics is conservation of total energy. This means that in processes the total energy must be the same when you compare the initial and the final state.
marlon

Since when did I say anything about that?

d3jake said:

Since when did I say anything about that?

Do you even understand the actual question that you asked ?

duhh :rolleyes:

marlon

Don't browbeat so much.

browbeat, that's a word i did not know. I looked it up in the dictionary...Thanks Meir, for enlarging my English vocabulary.

besides, may i ask what country you are from. Is it Isreal ?

regards
marlon

Doesn't thermodynamics deal with macroscopic systems which are build of zillion components?
Thermodynamics first law (conservation of energy) seems to be true for any physical system, but second law actually deals with quantities like entropy and temperature, which are innerently related to systems with many, many components, I don't think it can be applied to a system with only a bunch of constituent parts, like an atom.
In other words, I think a system with only 2 components, like the hydrogen atom, is certainly not claiming to be studied with statistical mechanics.

What do you people think?
(Actually, my knowledge in thermodynamics is very rusted, and I admit I could be plain wrong with my argument. I'd really like to have some confirmation...).

heres a great web page giving all the specifics on the Bohr ModelBohr model
I know that every atom has its own unique orbit of electrons pertaining to its elements but Atoms have different energy states such as "ground and excited states" in order for the atom to switch from different energy levels it needs I believe a photon that matches one of the exact energy levels of the orbits of the electrons..anyhow hope it helps some :smile:

1. What is perpetual motion within an atom?

Perpetual motion within an atom refers to the continuous movement of particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons within the atom's structure. These particles are constantly in motion, making the atom a dynamic and ever-changing entity.

2. Is perpetual motion within an atom possible?

According to the laws of physics, perpetual motion is not possible. This is because it would require an infinite amount of energy, which is not attainable. However, the movement of particles within an atom can appear to be perpetual due to the atom's incredibly small size and the constant exchange of energy between particles.

3. How does perpetual motion within an atom affect the stability of an atom?

The perpetual motion of particles within an atom does not affect the atom's stability. In fact, it is this constant motion that helps keep the atom stable. The repulsive and attractive forces between particles maintain a delicate balance, keeping the atom intact.

4. Can perpetual motion within an atom be harnessed for energy production?

No, perpetual motion within an atom cannot be harnessed for energy production. While the movement of particles within an atom does release energy in the form of radiation, this process is not sustainable and cannot be used as a source of energy.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding perpetual motion within an atom?

Understanding the perpetual motion of particles within an atom is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics. It also helps scientists better comprehend the behavior of matter and the functioning of various technological devices, such as transistors and microchips.