Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpetual Motion ?

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boy did you goof up. You've gone and let the cat out of the bag! Shoulda kept quite and just made one. You will be a billionaire in total contorl of the worlds energy supply.

We are waiting.~^
  4. Dec 26, 2003 #3
  5. Dec 26, 2003 #4
    Hurry up and give us ur 'proposed' design so that we can test it for you.
  6. Dec 26, 2003 #5
    Re-edited, I apologize for the previous version

IN answer to Andy “Hurry up and give us ur 'proposed' design so that we can test it for you."

I don't have much in the way of diagrams.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  7. Dec 26, 2003 #6
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the caps lock key on your keyboard is broken.
  8. Dec 26, 2003 #7
  9. Dec 26, 2003 #8
    Oh my GOD! amazing its fixed!
  10. Dec 26, 2003 #9
    The caps key?
    btw: is it tested?
  11. Dec 26, 2003 #10
    From just interacting with earths magnetic field, magnets will loose their charge slowly, Alnico magnets will lose their charge at a rate of .2%-2% a year as stated by most of their manufacturers. When magnets interact with other magnets, the loss of magnetic charge becomes even greater in a short amount of time. So your device might be able to run itself and create excess energy for a certain amount of time, but unless you find some way to maintain their magnetic charges indefinately, it won't be "perpetual motion", since it won't last forever.
  12. Dec 26, 2003 #11

Well actually superconductors have no resistance against electrical current and magnetisum, so a superconductor will keep magnetic FOREVER!!! I have made a sketch of a perpetual motion device, I know there can't be one, but I'm stumped on how it can't work.
  13. Dec 26, 2003 #12
    Can superconductors even exist at normal temperatures?

And how does not having a resistance against magnetism mean that it will stay magnetic forever? Can you cite something affirming this?

What's your idea for perpetual motion? Different ideas don't work for different reasons.
  14. Dec 26, 2003 #13

Well scientists have not found any superconductors that exist at room temperature. The highest they've found is like 20˚F above liquid nitrogen.

Well I didn't know how to word it but I'm pretty sure that it keeps it's magnetic field perpetually. Well it is basicly a large gear with a weight wedged between two of the teeth, and the weight is attached to two elastic bands on each side. The elastics are attached to a tower on each side of the gear, the gear is suspended by the magnetic field of a superconductor under it, using the messiner effect. You give it a spin and when the gear runs out of momentum the elastic bands are in such a way that they will give the gear an extra push, then when the gear runs out of momentum the elastics give it an extra push...
  15. Dec 26, 2003 #14
    Mmm, and liquid nitrogen isn't magnetic, for you to have some magical superconductor which is magnetic and stays so forever you'd probabally need a solid. I'm not aware of any magnetic liquids, as far as I know only metals can maintain a magnetic charge, and (unless someone made some brilliant discovery which I'm unaware of) metal can not be a liquid at the low temperatures which are needed superconductors to create superconductors. And until you can cite something showing what properties superconductors have that would allow them to never loose their magnetic charges, I will not take that as a true statement.

What is the point of suspending your machine, what forces would there be affecting it on the ground that there wouldn't be affecting it suspended in air? The obvious problem with that machine, and most all perpetual motion devices, is friction. The gear spinning on its axis causes friction, the gear and weight moving causes air friction, the expansion and contraction of the elastic causes friction. Also, eventually your elastic would snap. If you had some magical materials that would never break and had no friction in a total vaccum there's still the problem of internal friction(for lack of a better phrase) in the elastic. As the elastic expands and contracts, it's particles cause friction with each other.
  16. Dec 27, 2003 #15
    The only perpetual motion I have observed recently is the beer can to my mouth.
  17. Dec 27, 2003 #16
    Maybe you can check : http://www.josephnewman.com/

I believe he uses magnets in his blackbox. Links to some QT-movies.

He refers always to JAMES CLERK MAXWELL"In speaking of the Energy of the field, however, I wish to be understood literally. All energy is the same as mechanical energy, whether it exists in the form of motion or in that of elasticity, or in any other form. The energy in electromagnetic phenomena is mechanical energy."

So EM is created by spacetime kinetics.
  18. Dec 31, 2003 #17
    Sorry to tell you dude, but there already has been a perpetual motion machine made. Do some research on the MEG prodject.

Oh... And if you were able to make it, the government would either buy it from you, or kill you. There is too much money at stake with something like that.
  19. Dec 31, 2003 #18

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, he's the most famous of all the cranks. He's the one IIRC who successfully sued the USPTO to have his patent application reviewed, then refused to turn over the device for testing. [zz)] In any case, you can read about him in "Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud" by Robert Park if you are interested.
    Yeah, I know. I built one too. Send me $30 and I'll send you the plans so you can build one of your own.

In any case, I'm not going to pick apart his test setup to find the error (if I had to guess, its power factor), but his conclusion speaks for itself:
    If the device worked as advertised, closing the loop would be a relatively simple thing.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  20. Dec 31, 2003 #19
    I'll do it for $19.95...Canadian

try this link it's in these forums, *Here*..."How things Don't work"
  21. Dec 31, 2003 #20
    Yes, I can see how something like Mk's idea for an ever-spinning pinwheel would make trillions of dollars, which the government could never allow. They'd probabally launch him into the sun and use his machine to do all sorts of fun pinwheel related things.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?