1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpetual motion

1. Jul 15, 2004 #1
    Question:

A student once came up with an idea for a perpetual motion machine. His idea was as follows: Point an electric fan at a wind generator. Blow on the blades of the wind generator to activate it. As the generator produces electricity, it is used to ppower the electric gan which in turn keeps the generator going which in turn keeps the fan going...etc. Once set in motion, it would keep going forever until you stopped it.

would this work? please explain why or why not
    (well of couse not, but please explain)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider, is there any system that is 100% efficent?

4. Jul 15, 2004 #3
    well obviously not, but what exactly is the flaw in this perpetual motion that would make it not work??

5. Jul 15, 2004 #4

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I can think of many many flaws in that system. Try and think where energy would be lost.

6. Jul 15, 2004 #5
    friction for both the fan and the wind generator, but i cannot see exactly /how/ its lost

7. Jul 15, 2004 #6

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well friction turns the kenetic energy in the system to heat. Is that heat then used in the system or just wasted?

Also would the wind travel the whole distance and be 100% effective?

Think also abour the resistance in the wires.

8. Jul 15, 2004 #7
    ok, i see your point zurtex, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?