Perpetual Motion

• Thread starter justjoshus
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What do you call and where can i buy the set of balls (maybe 4 or 5) suspended in strings and when the outermost ball hits the the next one and bounces off the last one on the other end and sets off perpetual motion? I surely appreciate any ones response. Thank you. Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Do a search on "Newton's Cradle" or "Newton's Balls".

Hello justjoshus.You are describing "Newtons cradle" so try googling for suppliers.There is no such thing as perpetual motion and the balls in Newtons cradle stop eventually.

alxm
Science Advisor
I wonder how long it'd go on in a vacuum. I'm guessing air resistance is by far the biggest source of losses.
I'm guessing it'd go on for a surprising amount of time. Anyone got a high vacuum to try it out in?

It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.

It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.
Which generates heat and sound (which dissipates as heat).

if magnets are involved in any mechanism of motion but it kept the motion consistant from other variables is it still considered perpetual motion??