Is Electron Motion in Flat Spacetime Perpetual?

• Thread starter Cluelessluke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Once you introduce these parts/mechanisms, you may no longer be able to have inertial motion without anything else in the universe.In summary, this conversation discusses the concept of "inertial motion" and whether or not it is possible without any other bodies in the universe. It also raises the question of whether or not time itself is a secondary phenomena.
Cluelessluke
So I have a somewhat naive question.

Let's pretend that only an electron existed in a flat, static spacetime. That's all. We can boost to the rest frame of this electron to just say it's sitting there...doing nothing...in flat spacetime.

Is there something not perpetual about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
A perpetual motion DEVICE is a device, but there is also the concept of just perpetual motion (without a "device"). This is just motion going on indefinitely without the need to introduce new energy (you could also phrase it in the sense that entropy isn't increasing).

However after posting this I realized that the system I setup isn't physical. Once you boost to the rest frame of the electron you know exactly how fast it's going therefore you can't know anything about where it is. This will cause the wavefunction of the electron to spread increasing the entropy. So projected onto what I CAN know (ie the wavefunction) there is a definite passing of time through the increased entropy of my increasing lack of knowledge of where the electron is. Or at least that's my logic at the moment haha

There's nothing wrong with "perpetual" motion if what you mean by perpetual motion is "inertial" motion.

The problem is when someone claims to have a machine which continually extracts energy from a system without ever running out.

olivermsun said:
The problem is when someone claims to have a machine which continually extracts energy from a system without ever running out.
And the problem with this is that this violates of the law of conservation of energy.

olivermsun said:
There's nothing wrong with "perpetual" motion if what you mean by perpetual motion is "inertial" motion.

Is inertial motion possible without any other body in the universe?

Moreover, how can motion be detected if there is nothing else in the universe?

Why wouldn't it be possible?

If there's nothing else in the universe, then would it care either way?

enquirealways said:
Is inertial motion possible without any other body in the universe?

Moreover, how can motion be detected if there is nothing else in the universe?
Are you there to observe it? If so, you can simply define the reference frames.

This scenario is yours so the answer can be pretty much whatever you want -- but that may not be compatible with reality.

Cluelessluke said:
Is there something not perpetual about this?
It is perpetual, but it is also not prohibited by the laws of physics.

russ_watters said:
Are you there to observe it? If so, you can simply define the reference frames.

This scenario is yours so the answer can be pretty much whatever you want -- but that may not be compatible with reality.

A thread of mine has been closed because i didnt respond to a wrong question. So, i am cautios this time.

But i cannot stop asking questions to what you have said.

1. If reference frames can be so simply defined, it means we think of points in space. Then space ceases to be a continuum. Reference frames seem sensible when there are two particles at least.

2. The scenario that u say is not compatible with reality hints that time itself may be a secondary phenomenon. We cannot even think of the passage of time if there is a single body in the universe. If you say that someone is there to observe it, it makes two things.

Last edited:
what if the single body was you?

pondzo said:
what if the single body was you?

When i say a single body, it is assumed that it is a body with no internal parts/mechanism.

What is meant by "electron motion" in flat spacetime?

Electron motion refers to the movement of electrons within a flat spacetime, which is a two-dimensional representation of space and time without any curvature or gravitational forces.

Is electron motion in flat spacetime perpetual?

No, electron motion in flat spacetime is not perpetual. While an electron in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, it will eventually lose energy and slow down due to factors such as electromagnetic radiation and collisions with other particles.

What is the significance of studying electron motion in flat spacetime?

Studying electron motion in flat spacetime allows scientists to better understand the fundamental properties and behaviors of electrons, which are crucial building blocks of matter. It also helps in developing theories and models to explain the behavior of particles in different environments.

How is electron motion in flat spacetime different from electron motion in curved spacetime?

In flat spacetime, there is no curvature or gravitational forces affecting the motion of electrons. In curved spacetime, such as near massive objects like planets or stars, the motion of electrons can be affected by the curvature of space and the presence of gravitational forces.

What are some potential applications of understanding electron motion in flat spacetime?

Understanding electron motion in flat spacetime can have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, materials science, and particle physics. It can also lead to advancements in technology and the development of new materials with unique properties.